Long-term resident status in Sweden

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU and have a permanent Swedish residence permit, you may be granted long-term resident status in Sweden. Having this status means that you have certain rights which an EU citizen has and that you are more likely to be able to work, study or start your own business in another EU country.


Requirements for long-term resident status

To be granted long-term resident status, you must:

  • have lived continuously in Sweden for five years
  • have had a residence permit for the last five years
  • have a permanent residence permit
  • and your family are able to support themselves.

If you have had a Swedish residence permit for, for example, studies or for a visit, you cannot count this period of time. That is because this type of permit is granted for a limited time, not to those who wish to live in Sweden.

Those who have been granted a Swedish residence permit as persons otherwise in need of protection cannot be granted long-term resident status.

If you have previously held long-term resident status in another EU country and now fulfil the requirements for long-term resident status in Sweden, you may apply to transfer the status from the other country to Sweden. Contact the Swedish Migration Board if you have any questions about how to apply to transfer your status.

How to apply

You fill in the form Ansökan om status som varaktigt bosatt, no. 138011 (only in Swedish) and send this or hand it in to one of the Swedish Migration Board's permit units.

You should enclose:

  • a civic registration certificate which you order from the Swedish Tax Agencyexternal link, opens in new window
  • documents which show how you have supported yourself and your family over the previous five years. This can be shown, for example, with certificates of employment, statements of your declared income, certificates showing your pension or evidence of the assets you have in the bank.

When we have received your application

If you are granted long-term resident status, you will receive a residence permit card. The card is proof that you have the status of a long-term resident in Sweden and contains, amongst other things, a photograph of you and your fingerprints. You should, therefore, visit the Swedish Migration Board to be photographed and fingerprinted as soon as possible. You need to do this, even if you have previously had a residence permit card. This is because the Swedish Migration Board does not save your photograph or fingerprints. Before visiting the Migration Board, you will need to make an appointment.

After the decision has been made

The decision will be sent to your address in Sweden. When the residence permit card is ready, it will be sent to your home within about a week.

If you are planning to move to another EU country, it is important that you check which rules apply in that country. This may be done by, for example, contacting that country's embassy or their equivalent of the Swedish Migration Board.

If the Swedish Migration Board refuses your application

If you are not granted long-term resident status you may appeal the decision within three weeks of the date you receive it.

Countries which are covered by the directive on residence permits for long-term residents

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Please note that the EU countries Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom are not covered by the regulations governing long-term resident status; therefore, you do not have the right to be granted residence permits in these countries simply because you are a long-term resident of Sweden.

Last updated: 1 May 2014