EU citizens studying in Sweden

As an EU citizen you have the right to study in Sweden without a residence permit. If you want to stay for longer than three months you should register your right of residence with the Swedish Migration Board.


When entering Sweden, you need a valid passport or ID card showing your citizenship.

Who has right of residence as a student?

To be granted right of residence as a student you should be admitted to studies of an upper secondary school (gymnasium) level or higher. You also need to have enough money to support yourself. Note that you cannot register right of residence for studying Swedish for Immigrants (SFI).

Registering after you have entered Sweden

As an EU citizen, you can move to Sweden without applying for any kind of permit. If you are planning to stay for more than three months, you must register your right of residence. You cannot register before coming to Sweden.

Right to study immediately

As an EU citizen, you are entitled to start studying as soon as you enter Sweden. You do not have to wait until you have registered or received approval of registration.

Working alongside your studies

If you have right of residence you also have a right to work alongside your studies.

Commuting to and from Sweden

If you are an EU citizen and studying in Sweden but living in another EU country to which you return at least once a week, you do not need to register in Sweden.

If you are living in Sweden but studying in another country, you must register your right of residence as a person with sufficient means.

Citizens of Nordic countries

Citizens of Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland may live in Sweden without registering or obtaining a residence permit. Registering with the Swedish Tax Agency is good enough.

Citizens of Switzerland

You can apply for a residence permit if you are a citizen of Switzerland. For additional information, see the page entitled Swiss citizens.

People who have lived in an EU country

If you have lived in an EU country but are not an EU citizen you may under some circumstances be granted status as a long-term resident of that country. You will then have rights similar to those of EU citizens.

Countries covered by the free movement within Europe

Map over countries that's covered by the free movement within Europe
Click on the image to see a larger version.

Last updated: 11 February 2014