Work permits for citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Korea

Certain countries have agreements with Sweden under which 18-30 year-olds can live and work in Sweden for up to a year.

Employment can be temporary and you do not need a job offer when applying for a permit. You can look for a job after coming to Sweden.

Read more about working in Sweden at work.sweden.seexternal link, opens in new window

Requirements for obtaining a permit

In order to obtain a work permit, you must:

  • be a citizen of Australia, Canada, New Zealand or South Korea
  • be 18-30 years old
  • have a valid passport
  • have at least SEK 15,000 so that you can support yourself initially in Sweden
  • have a return ticket or enough money to buy one
  • have a valid health insurance policy (unless you are a citizen of Australia)
  • not bring any children with you

How to apply

Apply for the permit when you are in your country of origin or another country outside Sweden in which you are living. Fill out the form entitled Application for Residence and Work permit in Sweden for Young People from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Korea, no. 155011, and turn it in to a Swedish embassy or consulate general. Before you submit your application you should contact the embassy or consulate-general.

Find your closest embassy at Swedenabroad.comexternal link, opens in new window

You will probably be required to pay a fee.

Enclose the following documents with your application:

  • copies of the pages of your passport that show personal data, period of validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin
  • a bank statement showing that you can support yourself initially in Sweden
  • a copy of a return ticket or a document showing that you have enough money to buy one
  • a document showing that you have health insurance coverage that is valid in Sweden (unless you are a citizen of Australia)

Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire – you cannot obtain a work permit for longer than your passport´s period of validity.

Once we have received your application

If you obtain a permit for more than three months, you will also receive a residence permit card. The card, which is proof that you have the right to be in Sweden, contains your photo and fingerprints. After you have received your decision and entered Sweden you should book an appointment as soon as possible to submit your fingerprints and be photographed.

After the decision has been made

The decision will be sent to the embassy or consulate general to which you turned in your application. Take your passport along when picking up your decision. You can obtain a permit for one year but not past the time for which your passport remains valid. A permit for holidays cannot be extended.

You must show your decision along with a valid passport when entering Sweden.

Important information about insurance

You will not be registered in Sweden, which means that you will not be eligible for social benefits if you receive a permit for less than one year. Make sure to have an insurance policy that will cover any costs that may arise in connection with illness, injury, etc.

If the Migration Board refuses your application

You can appeal against a decision not to grant you a residence permit within three weeks. A person to whom you have given a power of attorney can appeal on your behalf.

Last updated: 25 February 2015