Exemptions from the work permit requirements
The following people may work in Sweden without a permit
- specialists who work in Sweden for an international group for less than one year altogether
- employees who participate in practical experience, internal training or other skills development at a company in an international group for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months
- people who participate in training, testing, preparation or completion of deliveries, or similar activities within the framework of a business transaction for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months
- diplomats and consular officials, as well as their families and staff. The exemption generally applies to the current mission only
- fitters or technical instructors in connection with urgent installation or repair of machinery for up to two months. The work must be an emergency – in other words, an unexpected event that requires immediate measures. Scheduled or foreseeable work does not qualify for the exemption
- people who have a temporary gig for a radio or television broadcast by Sveriges Radio AB, Sveriges Television AB, Sveriges Utbildningsradio AB or Nordisk Television AB (TV4-gruppen/TV4 AB) for up to one month after entering Sweden
- performers, technicians and other tour staff, provided that the performer has been invited by an established arranger for up to 14 days over a period of 12 months. See list of established arrangers
- professional athletes and functionaries who participate in international competitions for up to three months over the period of 12 months
- railway personnel and lorry drivers in international commercial traffic
- drivers and staff of tourist buses for up to three months
- representatives who work temporarily as salespeople, journalists, etc., for a company that does not have a branch or office in Sweden
- caregivers employed for a person who is visiting Sweden for up to three months
- visiting research fellows or teachers at higher education institutions who participate in research, teaching or lecturing activities for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months
- people who live and work in, but are not citizens of, an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and who want to work in Sweden temporarily as a contractor or the equivalent
- witnesses or plaintiffs in a criminal investigation who have obtained a residence permit as a result.
Keep in mind that
Citizens of certain countries need a visa to enter Sweden.
If the job is for more than three months, the person must apply for a residence permit.