Requirements for citizenship
In order to become a Swedish citizen, there are certain requirements which you must fulfil. You need to fulfil them before you submit your application.
Please note: Special rules apply to citizens of Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway.
To become a Swedish citizen you must:
- be able to prove your identity
- have reached the age of 18
- have a permanent residence permit or a permanent right of residence in Sweden
- have lived in Sweden for a specified period
- have conducted yourself well in Sweden.
More information about the individual requirements can be found under the headings in the left menu.