Apply to extend your visit to Sweden

If you are in Sweden on a visit and would like to stay longer than the time for which you have been granted a visa, you must apply for a residence permit for a visit. This applies even to those who do not need a visa and want to stay longer than 90 days.


How to apply

An application for a residence permit for a visit must be submitted personally at any of our Permit Units. You must book anopens in new windowappointmentopens in new window in advance. If you are invited to Sweden to visit relatives or friends, the person who invited you must accompany you and be able to identify himself or herself. You also need to bring your original passport.

Enclose the following documents with your application:

Once we have received your application

Those who receive a residence permit will be given a residence permit card. The card is proof of your residence permit.

You will need to visit one of the Swedish Migration Board´s Permit Units to submit fingerprints and be photographed. This will usually take place when you submit your application in person. You can also be called to the Migration Board at a later date. You will also be called to the Migration Board if you send in your application by post.

Please note that you need to be photographed and submit your fingerprints even if you previously have had a residence permit card since your photo and fingerprints cannot be saved.

After the decision has been made

The decision will be sent to your address in Sweden. Your residence permit card will be sent to your address in Sweden within one week.

Important information about insurance

You will not be registered in Sweden, which means that you will not be eligible for social benefits. Make sure to have an insurance policy that will cover any costs that may arise in connection with illness, injury, etc.

Extending a visa

In certain cases, you can receive an extended visa if your total stay is less than 90 days. This is possible in the following cases:

Force majeure — for example re-booking of a flight owing to airline strike or extreme weather.
Humanitarian reasons — for example if you or a close relative who resides in Sweden has been taken seriously ill.
Compelling personal reasons — for example, issues of health care or a business visit.

Last updated: 1 April 2014