Apply to extend your visit to Sweden
If you are in Sweden on a visit and would like to stay longer than the time for which you have been granted a visa, you must apply for a residence permit for a visit. This applies even to those who do not need a visa and want to stay longer than 90 days.
How to apply
An application for a residence permit for a visit must be submitted personally at any of our Permit Units. You must book anappointment in advance. If you are invited to Sweden to visit relatives or friends, the person who invited you must accompany you and be able to identify himself or herself. You also need to bring your original passport.
Enclose the following documents with your application:
- The form Application for visitor's permit, No 165011. For children under 18, you must use the form Application for visitor's permit for a child under the age of 18, No. 167011.
- The form Family details — Appendix to your application, No. 239011.
- An account statement or other document showing that you have money for your subsistence during the time you plan to stay in Sweden. If someone else is paying for your support, that person´s income information/assets must be verified.
- A return ticket or sufficient funds to procure one.
- The application fee for a permit is 1000 SEK for adults and 500 SEK for children. You will not receive a refund if your application is rejected. The fees are paid in connection with your submitting an application. You can only pay by credit card.
Once we have received your application
Those who receive a residence permit will be given a residence permit card. The card is proof of your residence permit.
You will need to visit one of the Swedish Migration Board´s Permit Units to submit fingerprints and be photographed. This will usually take place when you submit your application in person. You can also be called to the Migration Board at a later date. You will also be called to the Migration Board if you send in your application by post.
Please note that you need to be photographed and submit your fingerprints even if you previously have had a residence permit card since your photo and fingerprints cannot be saved.
After the decision has been made
The decision will be sent to your address in Sweden. Your residence permit card will be sent to your address in Sweden within one week.