Permits for a family member of a person who has a work permit

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and are a family member of a person who has a work permit, you can get a residence permit for the same period. If the permit is for more than six months, you can also get a work permit.


The following are counted as family members: wife, husband, cohabiting partner, registered partner and unmarried children under the age of 21. Unmarried children who are 21 years or older can be given a permit in certain cases. The requirement is that they are being supported financially by you or your partner.

Children of a person who has applied for asylum

Children of a person who has previously applied for asylum and is applying for a work permit without leaving Sweden must not be older than18 years to get a residence permit.

Read more about work permit for a person who has been an asylum seeker in Sweden.

How to apply

If the whole family applies at the same time, it is the person who has got an offer of employment who applies for the family in their own online application. If that person is already in Sweden, you make your own application as a family member.

Each family member must complete the form Application for permit for family members of employees, visiting researchers, athletes and self-employed persons, no. 133011, and submit it to the Swedish embassy or consulate general in the country in which they live. Before you submit your application you should contact the embassy or consulate-general.

Application for permit for family members of employees, visiting researchers, athletes and self-employed persons, form No. 133011PDF

Find your closest embassy at Swedenabroad.comexternal link, opens in new window

You will probably be required to pay a fee.

Fees for family member

If there is no possibility to submit an application in your country, you must apply at the embassy or consulate-general closest to your country of residence. Contact the embassy or consulate-general before you submit your application for further information.

If you are applying at an embassy or consulate-general, you pay the fee when you hand in your application. For more information about the fee, contact the embassy or consulate-general where you are applying, as they do not have the same fees and terms of payment as the Migration Agency.

What you have to send with your application

  • copies of the pages in your passport showing your personal details, the passport’s period of validity, travel stamps and whether you have residence permits for countries other than your home country.
  • a copy of a marriage certificate or the equivalent (applies to married couples and registered partners)
  • a document showing that you have been living together in your home country (applies to cohabiting partners)
  • a birth certificate for children
  • consent from the other custodian, if they are not also coming to Sweden
  • a short letter from the person in Sweden in which they confirm that you are going to live together in Sweden, if you are not applying for a permit at the same time.

If your passport is about to expire, you should extend it since you cannot get a permit for a longer period than your passport is valid for.

Faster decision if complete information has been submitted

The Migration Agency first processes applications that have been filled out completely and for which all necessary documents have been submitted. In other words, a faster decision will be made if everything we need is sent at the beginning than if information is added afterwards.

Keep in mind that the Migration Agency might have to investigate the application further even if all the information and documents that we asked for are submitted.

When we have received your application

If you get a permit for more than three months, you are given a residence permit card. The card, which is proof that you have the right to be in Sweden, contains your photo and fingerprints.

If you need a visa for travel to Sweden, you should go to the the embassy or consulate general as soon as possible to have your picture and fingerprints taken. Contact the embassy or the consulate-general before your visit.

Countries whose citizens need an entry visa for travel to Swedenexternal link, opens in new window

Find the closest embassy at Swedenabroad.comexternal link, opens in new window

Learn more about residence permit cards

If you do not need a visa for travel to Sweden, as soon as possible after your arrival in Sweden you should visit the Migration Agency to be photographed and fingerprinted. However, you need to apply for and get your permits before you travel to Sweden.

After the decision has been made

The decision is sent to the embassy or consulate-general. When you are going to collect it, you have to bring your passport.

When your residence permit card is ready, the embassy or consulate-general will hand over or send the finished card. Bear in mind that it can take up to four weeks to produce and deliver the card to the embassy or consulate-general after you have received your decision. Your residence permit card has to be presented along with a valid passport when you travel to Sweden.

If you can travel to Sweden without a visa, you should to be able to present a copy of the decision when you enter the country. As soon as you come to Sweden, you have to visit the Swedish Migration Agency to be fingerprinted and photographed. When your residence permit card is ready, it will be sent to your address in Sweden.

Book an appointment at the Swedish Migration Agency to have your picture and fingerprints taken

Important information about insurance

You will not be registered in the Swedish population registry, which means that you will not be eligible for social benefits, if you receive a permit for less than one year. It is important for you to have an insurance policy that will cover any costs that may arise in connection with illness, injury, etc.

If the Migration Agency refuses the application

If the Migration Agency refuses your application, you may appeal the decision within three weeks of the day you received it. Information on how to do this can be found in the decision.

What is a power of attorney?

A power of attorney can be a signed letter stating that the person applying for a permit is authorising another person to represent him or her. A power of attorney can, for example, give somebody the right to make an application, see the reasons for a decision or to appeal a decision on behalf of another person. The power of attorney must be signed by the person who is authorising another person. The original must be able to be shown upon request from the Migration Agency.

To be counted as a power of attorney, it needs to show:

  • that it is a power of attorney
  • the name, date of birth and address of the person who is authorising another person
  • what the authorised person has the right to do
  • the name, personal identity number and address of the authorised person
  • the signature of the person who is authorising another person.

Last updated: 10 April 2015