Migration and development
The Swedish Migration Agency has been commissioned to work with international development cooperation.
In accordance with Sweden's Policy for Global Development (PGU), established in the spring of 2008, the Agency is to involve itself in international development cooperation. Through its international work, the Migration Agency lends its support in issues concerning the ability of countries outside of the EU to handle asylum and migration issues.
The work mainly consist of international projects and providing expert support for the Ministry of Justice in their participation in the Council of the European Union's Strategic Committee on Immigration, Frontiers and Asylum (SCIFA). The Agency also participates in other international organisations and forums where developmental issues are discussed.
- Measures that reflect the needs, based on the Swedish Migration Agency intelligence and prognoses, as a response to the situation in Greece, the Arab Spring, etc.
- collaborations with countries and international organisations where there is a clear demand from the Agency's clients (for example, the Government Offices by letter of appropriation, etc.), and where the work has the potential to create good conditions for international migration and complement other measures.
- A clear trend in Swedish policy is to see the possibilities in legal migration, through circular migration and development.
High priority areas
- Measures supporting practical cooperation, capacity support to countries with a high number of asylum seekers
- family reunification
- unaccompanied minors
- circular migration
- labour immigration
- work on the Global Approach to migration within the EU
- Twinning projects and other capacity building projects.