The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

10 November 2020

New look for residence permit cards

From 1 December, both the residence permit card and right of residence card issued by the Swedish Migration Agency will look different. If you already have a valid card, you do not need to replace it.

People who have a residence permit or right of residence in Sweden are issued a card as proof they are allowed to be in the country.

Next time you receive a new residence permit card (UT card) or residence card (UK card) you will notice that it looks different. A new EU ordinance has been introduced that regulates the appearance of these cards. The changes have been made to make it harder to falsify the cards, and to introduce a uniform appearance for all EU member states.

If you have a residence permit card or residence card that was issued before 1 December 2020, you do not need to replace it. Your card will continue to be valid for as long as your residence permit or right of residence are valid, or for a maximum of five years. You will be sent a new card when you receive your decision for an extension to your residence permit, or when your current card expires. The card will be sent to your registered address, just like before.

Photo of the new residence permit card

This is what the new residence permit card will look like. Click on the image to enlarge it.