Employing EU citizens

EU citizens do not need a work permit in order to work in Sweden.

EU citizens may start working immediately and do not need a residence permit or register their right of residence with the Migration Agency. Close relatives of EU citizens who are citizens of a non-EU country are also allowed to work without a work permit but should apply for a residence card if they intend to stay in Sweden for more than three months.

Countries covered by the free movement within Europe

Map över countries that's covered by the free movement within Europe: Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, United Kingdom, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Austria

Click on the image to see a larger version.

Last updated: 2020-02-10

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.