Employing an au pair

An au pair is a person who lives with a family and is paid for light household work and child minding. The purpose of the stay must be to gain international experience and the opportunity to learn the Swedish language and culture.

Requirements for work permits

In order to for the person you want to employ as an au pair to get a work permit

  • he or she must be between 18 and 30 years of age
  • you must offer a maximum of 25 hours light household work per week
  • the au pair must study Swedish for most of the rest of the time
  • you must offer room and board
  • you must offer a minimum salary of SEK 3,500 per month before tax
  • the time for household work and studies may not together exceed 40 hours per week
  • you must write an offer of employment, which states the above terms and send it to the au pair. You must also send a certificate of a place for studies in Swedish.

An au pair who is a citizen of a country outside the EU needs a work permit. For work that lasts less than three months, citizens of certain countries also need to have a visa.

Anyone who has a permit to work as an au pair may not work as a child minder or domestic help full time.

Previous stays as an au pair in a different country immediately before the planned stay in Sweden may reduce the possibilities of getting a permit in Sweden. The reason is that it may indicate that it is a matter of regular work as a child minder or the like and not a stay as an au pair.

Requirements to use the e-service

In order to use the e-service and create an offer of employment, you need to

  • have a BankID
  • be able to append a certificate of a place for studies
  • know the e-mail address of the person you want to employ.

E-service for offer of employment

After you have made the offer of employment

When you as an employer (host family) have made an offer of employment through the e-service, an e-mail with a link is sent to the person you want to employ. The employee (au pair) then submits an application for a work permit through the link.

You as an employee can follow the case by logging in to the e-service.

After the decision

When a decision is made, a copy is sent to you, which states if the permit has been granted or not. If you want access to the reasons for the decision, you need an authorisation from the au pair. The permit can be granted for the period the employment pertains to, but never longer than the validity of the person’s passport. A work permit as an au pair can be granted for a total maximum of one year. The permit must be issued before travel to Sweden.

People who are granted a permit for three months or more also receive a residence permit card that is handed out by the embassy or consulate. The card must be presented together with the passport upon entry and is proof of the right to be in Sweden. It takes up to four weeks to manufacture and deliver the card.

Read more about residence permit cards


A decision on a work permit can be appealed within three weeks. Information on how to appeal is provided in the employee’s decision.

Notify the Swedish Tax Agency

When you employ somebody from a country outside the EU, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency. You do so by completing the form “Notification – Employment of a foreigner SKV 1160” with information on name, address and period of employment for the person who is to work for you. You can find the form on the Swedish Tax Agency websiteexternal link, opens in new window.

You only need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency when you employ a person for the first time. If it involves an application for an extension, you do not need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency.

You must save copies of documents that show that the person has the right to be and work in Sweden. The documents must be archived for the entire period of employment and 12 months after the end of the employment.

If you cannot use the e-service

If you use the e-service, you are given clear instructions on how to complete the offer of employment and what you have to send in with it. It is easy to do it right from the beginning, which increases your chances of getting a decision faster.

If you cannot create an offer of employment by using our e-service, you may send the offer and certificate of a place to study to the au pair, who must submit it together with the application at the nearest embassy/consulate.

Application for au pairs, form number 131011PDF

Websites of Swedish embassies and consulates-generalexternal link, opens in new window

Last updated: 2019-10-24

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.