Exemptions from the work permit requirements

The following people may work in Sweden without a permit:

  • specialists within an international grou who work in Sweden for the group in less than one year altogether

  • employees who participate in practical experience, internal training or other skills development at a company in an international grou for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months
  • people who participate in training, testing, preparation or completion of deliveries, or similar activities within the framework of a business transaction for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months
  • diplomats and consular officials, as well as their families and staff. The exemption generally applies to the current mission only
  • fitters or technical instructors in connection with urgent installation or repair of machinery for up to two months. The work must be an emergency – in other words, an unexpected event that requires immediate measures. Scheduled or foreseeable work does not qualify for the exemption
  • people who have a temporary gig for a radio or television broadcast by Sveriges Radio AB, Sveriges Television AB, Sveriges Utbildningsradio AB or Nordisk Television AB (TV4-gruppen/TV4 AB) for up to one month after entering Sweden
  • performers, technicians and other tour staff, provided that the performer has been invited by an established arranger for up to 14 days over a period of 12 months. See list of established arrangers 
  • professional athletes and functionaries who participate in international competitions for up to three months over  the period of 12 months
  • railway personnel and lorry drivers in international commercial traffic
  • drivers and staff of tourist buses for up to three months
  • representatives who work temporarily as salespeople, journalists, etc., for a company that does not have a branch or office in Sweden
  • caregivers employed for a person who is visiting Sweden for up to three months
  • visiting research fellows or teachers at higher education institutions who participate in research, teaching or lecturing activities for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months
  • people who live and work in, but are not citizens of, an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and who want to work in Sweden temporarily as a contractor or the equivalent
  • witnesses or plaintiffs in a criminal investigation who have obtained a residence permit as a result
  • for the period of deployment for a person who is part of an aid effort for a disaster or accident in Sweden.

Keep in mind that

Citizens of certain countries need a visa to enter Sweden.

Countries whose citizens require a visa for visits shorter than three monthsexternal link, opens in new window

Learn more about applying for a entry visa

If the job is for more than three months, the person must apply for a residence permit.

Last updated: 2017-02-01

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.