ICT permit

Managers, specialists or trainees who are transferred to another position within their company can apply for an ICT (Intra-Corporate Transfer) permit to work in Sweden.

An ICT permit gives people who are citizens of a country outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland the right to enter, stay and work in Sweden for a company that is established in Sweden within the same group as the host company. People who have already been granted an ICT permit by another EU state but who are going to work in Sweden can apply for an ICT permit for movability for a longer stay.

Requirements for an ICT permit

The employer must

  • draw up an offer of employment which has been presented to a trade union for comment
  • offer a salary that is at the same level as that of Swedish collective agreements or normal practice within the profession or industry
  • offer terms of employment that are at least at the same level as those for employees on secondment in Sweden
  • offer a position which enables the employee to provide for himself/herself.

Apply for an ICT permit

The employee, or his/her representative, must apply for a permit. The permit must be granted before the employee enters Sweden. If the employee already has an ICT permit issued in another EU country, the application can be made in Sweden.

Read more about how the employee applies for an ICT permit

After the decision

Once the decision has been made, a copy will be sent to you as the employer in Sweden stating whether a permit has been granted or not. If you want to know the reasons for the decision, you will need a power of attorney from the employee. The permit will only be valid for working for the employer and in the role stated in the offer of employment.

People who are granted a permit for at least three months will also be given a residence permit card which will be issued by the authority abroad. The card must be presented together with a passport when entering Sweden. It is evidence of the person’s right to be in Sweden. It can take up to four weeks to produce and deliver the card.

Read more about a residence permit card

Notify Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency)

When you employ someone from a country outside the EU, you must notify Skatteverket. You do so by filling in the form ”Underrättelse – Anställning av utlänning SKV 1160”, stating the name, address and period of employment of the person who is going to work for you. The form is available at Skatteverket’s website.

The notification form for Skatteverketexternal link, opens in new window

You must save copies of documents that show that the person has the right to be and work in Sweden. The document must be archived throughout the period of employment and for 12 months after the employment has ended.

Obligation to give notification

As the employer, you must notify the Swedish Migration Agency if any circumstances change that affect the conditions for the permit, for example, if the employee is not given the salary that had been offered, or if the employee’s terms of employment have deteriorated.

You must notify the Swedish Migration Agency of any changes by sending a letter in which you explain in what way the circumstances have changed. You must state the employee’s name and case number clearly.

Send the letter to Migrationsverket, Box 3100, 903 03 Umeå.

If the Swedish Migration Agency rejects the application

A decision on an ICT permit can be appealed within three weeks. Information about how to do so is given in the employee’s decision.

Last updated: 2019-04-16

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.