Work permit for seasonal workers

If you as an established employer in Sweden want to employ staff for seasonal work, the persons in question must have a work permit.

Seasonal work is common in agriculture, forestry, the hotel and restaurant sector, travel arrangements, tourist and booking services, support services for artistic activities, the running of ski resort facilities, the running of golf courses, and funfair and theme park facilities.

An employee can get a permit for seasonal work for maximum six months during a twelve-month period.

Other rules apply for berry-pickers who are employed by a company that is not established in Sweden.

Read more about work permits for berry-pickers

Requirements for getting a permit for seasonal work

As the employer, you must

  • be established in Sweden
  • draw up an offer of employment which has been presented to the relevant trade union for comment
  • offer a salary and terms of employment that are at least at the same level as Swedish collective agreements or normal practice in the profession or industry
  • offer a position that will enable the employee to provide for himself/herself
  • advertise the position in Sweden and in the EU/EEA and Switzerland for at least ten days.

As the employer, you can help to arrange or rent out accommodation to the employee. If you do so, the following rules apply:

  • The rent must not be inappropriate with regard to the salary or the standard of the accommodation. This means the rent cannot be unreasonably high in relation to the standard of the accommodation and the employee must have enough money left after paying the rent so he/she does not have to apply for income support to cover his/her living expenses.
  • The rent can only be deducted from the employee’s salary if the employee has given written consent to you as the employer to do so.
  • As the employer, you must give the employee a written document with the terms of rent.
  • The accommodation must fulfil the requirements stipulated in general health and safety rules.

Apply for a permit for seasonal work

The employee, or his/her representative, must apply for a permit. The permit must be granted before the employee enters Sweden.

Read more about how the employee applies for a work permit for seasonal work

For work permits that are valid for less than 90 days, the employee will in some cases need a visa to be in Sweden.

Countries whose citizens must have a visa for Swedenexternal link, opens in new window

Read more about applying for a visa under Visit Sweden

After the decision

Once the decision has been made, a copy will be sent to you as the employer in Sweden stating whether a permit has been granted or not. If you want to know the reasons for the decision, you will need a power of attorney from the employee. The permit will only be valid for working for the employer and in the role stated in the offer of employment.

People who are granted a permit for at least three months will also be given a residence permit card which is issued by the embassy or Consulate General. The card must be presented together with a passport when entering Sweden. It is evidence of the person’s right to be in Sweden. It can take up to four weeks to produce and deliver the card.

Read more about a residence permit card

Notify Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency)

When you employ someone from a country outside the EU, you must notify Skatteverket. You do so by filling in the form ”Underrättelse – Anställning av utlänning SKV 1160”, stating the name, address and period of employment of the person who is going to work for you. The form is available at Skatteverket’s website.

The notification form for Skatteverketexternal link, opens in new window

You must save copies of documents that show that the person has the right to be and work in Sweden. The document must be archived throughout the period of employment and for 12 months after the employment has ended.

If the Swedish Migration Agency rejects the application

A decision for a permit for seasonal work can be appealed within three weeks. Information about how to do so is given in the employee’s decision.

Last updated: 2019-04-16

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.