Introducing new rules for work permits

On 1 June 2022, new rules for work permits in Sweden came into effect. The new rules affect several different types of work permits, and applies to both those who are planning to apply for a work permit, and those who are waiting for a decision today.

The purpose of the changes now being introduced is, among other things, to counteract people with work permits being exploited by their employers, and for Sweden to become more attractive to international competence.

The new rules include, among other things:

  • Most people applying for a work permit will need to present an employment contract before they can receive a decision.
  • The Swedish Migration Agency can require that the terms of employment are reported, and that the employer is obliged to report if the terms of employment change and become less favourable. An employer who does not report changes may be subject to a fine. The employers affected by this will receive more information.
  • It will be possible to apply for an extended work permit several times. In this way, the employee can stay in Sweden for more than four years, even if they do not meet the requirements for obtaining a permanent residence permit.
  • It will be possible to apply for a visa for those who need to travel abroad on business trips while waiting for a decision on an extended work permit. (Only for business trips, not for travel for other reasons and not for family members).
  • A new permit is introduced for people who are highly educated who want to come to Sweden to apply for work or start a business.
  • Those have or are applying for a work permit must show that they can support accompanying family members the first time they apply for a residence permit as a co-applicant.

Persons who have already submitted an application for a work permit or a residence permit for accompanying family members may need to supplement their application by submitting a copy of their employment contract or documents showing that they can support their family. The Swedish Migration Agency will contact the employer or the employee if we need more information before we make a decision.

If you plan to employ a person from a country outside of the EU, you can read about the requirements here on the Swedish Migration Agency website. We have updated information about the requirements for affected permits.

Read more about employing a person from a non-EU country

Read more about residence permit for highly qualified people looking for work in Sweden

Here you can find an overview of the new rules for work permits