The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Alien's passport

If you do not have a passport and do not have the possibility of obtaining one, in some cases the Swedish Migration Agency can issue an alien's passport.

This applies to people who have been granted a residence permit in Sweden on the grounds of protection from authorities in their home country and who can therefore not contact them to obtain a passport. If you have been granted a residence permit on protection grounds not related to the authorities in your home country, such as honour-related problems, natural disasters or the general situation in your home country, you should contact the authorities in your home country to obtain a passport.

The Swedish Migration Agency bases its assessment on the reasons stated in your asylum decision document and reviews applications in each individual case. Level of difficulty, inconvenience or cost involved in obtaining a passport from your home country is insufficient reason for being granted an alien’s passport.

The Swedish Migration Agency will not issue an alien’s passport if you have another document that serves as a passport, and that is a valid travel document. The Swedish Migration Agency does not issue alien’s passports to people while they are in their home country.

Apply for an alien’s passport

To apply for an alien’s passport, you should fill out form number 191011, Application for an Alien’s Passport, and personally hand it in at one of the Swedish Migration Agency’s permit units. You need to book an appointment before visiting the Migration Agency to hand in your application. You need to book an appointment for each person that wishes to apply for an alien’s passport, and each person must hand in his/her own application form.  

Ansökan om främlingspass, blankett nummer 190011 (in Swedish)PDF

Application for alien's passport, form number 191011 (in English)PDF

Read more about how to apply for an alien's passport.

Book an appointment to submit your application

Children under 18

Children under 18 may not fill out an application for an alien's passport. The child's legal guardian or custodian must personally apply for an alien's passport on behalf of the child.

If there are two parents or guardians, both must approve the application by handing in form number 247011, Consent for the Swedish Migration Agency to issue an alien’s passport for a child under the age of 18, along with the child’s application form.

Medgivande att Migrationsverket får utfärda främlingspass för barn under 18 år, blankett nummer 246011 (in Swedish)PDF

Consent for the Swedish Migration Agency to issue an alien's passport for a child under the age of 18, form number 247011 (in English)PDF


There is normally an application fee for an alien’s passport. You can pay the fee with a credit/debit card when you hand in your application, or ask for a payment slip and pay later. The Migration Agency will not process your application until you have paid the fee.

Application fees for alien's passport

Proces­sing time

At the Swedish Migration Agency’s website you can find out roughly how long the processing time currently is. The decision can take longer if the case officer needs to contact you for more information.

When the Swedish Migration Agency has processed your application, we will send you the decision to you in the post.

Current processing times

Picking up an alien's passport

You should pick up your alien’s passport at the same Permit Unit or Service Center where you submitted your application, unless you have received any information stating that you should pick up your passport at another location. If you would like to pick up your alien’s passport at a different location, you should speak to the staff about this when you submit your application.

You must have valid identification when you pick up your alien’s passport.

Book an appointment to pick up an alien's passport

Travel­ling with an alien's passport

An alien's passport fulfils EU passport requirements for travelling to all countries. You may need a visa to travel to some countries. Please contact the appropriate country's embassy to obtain more information before you travel.

If you have been granted a residence permit on the grounds of protection, your alien's passport will state that you are unable to travel to your home country or the country you fled from.

If you were unable to prove your identity, your alien's passport will state that your identity is unproven, which could make it more difficult to travel to certain countries.

Passport vali­dity

An alien's passport is normally valid five years and cannot be extended. If you need an alien's passport when the validity period has expired you can apply for a new one.

When you wish to apply for a new alien's passport you will need to have your photo and fingerprints taken again, as your photo and your fingerprints are not saved at the Swedish Migration Agency, but only in a computer microchip in your alien’s passport.

If you lose your passport

If you lose your alien’s passport or if it is stolen, you should first report this to the police. If you need a new alien’s passport, you must submit a new application. When you apply for a new alien’s passport, please bring a copy of the police report that you have received at the post office or the police station.

How to apply for an alien's passport

If your appli­ca­tion is rejected

You can only appeal the Swedish Migration Agency's decision if your applications for an alien's passport and residence permit were rejected simultaneously.

If you wish to appeal, you need to write a letter stating which decision you wish the agency to change and why you consider the decision to be wrong. The letter should include your personal details and your case number, and the letter needs to be signed by you personally.

Make sure that the Migration Agency receives your notice of appeal no later than three weeks after you were notified of the decision.

If you wish someone else to appeal on your behalf you need to give the person a written power of attorney.

Last updated: 28 February 2020

Was the information on this page helpful to you?