The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

How to apply for an alien's passport


Fill out the application

To apply for an alien’s passport you need to fill out form number 191011, Application for an alien’s passport, and personally hand it in at one the Swedish Migration Agency’s permit units.

If you have children who need an alien’s passport, you need to fill out an application on their behalf. For children under 18 to be granted an alien’s passport, the consent of both guardians or parents is required. This consent is given by using form number 247011, Consent for the Swedish Migration Agency to issue an alien's passport for a child under the age of 18, which should be handed in along with the application form.

Ansökan om främlingspass, blankett nummer 190011 (in Swedish)PDF

Application for alien's passport, form number 191011 (in English)PDF

Medgivande att Migrationsverket får utfärda främlingspass för barn under 18 år, blankett nummer 246011 (in Swedish)PDF

Consent for the Swedish Migration Agency to issue an alien's passport for a child under the age of 18, form number 247011 (in English)PDF


Book an appointment to hand in your application

Before you visit the Swedish Migration Agency to hand in your application you need to book an appointment. Please note that everyone who is applying for an alien’s passport needs to come with you, even the children. Each person who is handing in an application receives their own appointment. You can book several appointments in succession.

Book an appointment to submit your application


Visit the Swedish Migration Agency

When handing in your application you should bring

  • the application form, filled out and signed (one form per person)
  • any previously issued alien’s passport
  • national passport or other documents that prove your identity (if you do not have a passport), it could be an ID card, birth certificate or military service book
  • consent from parents or guardians that the application is for a child under 18 (form number 247011, Consent for the Swedish Migration Agency to issue an alien's passport for a child under the age of 18)
  • copy of the police report which states that you have lost your alien’s passport (if you are applying for new alien’s passport because you lost your old one).

If you have a national passport or an older alien’s passport you need to hand them in at the Swedish Migration Agency. In some cases the case officer can accept copies of your passport with your application form, but will request that you hand in your passport in the original when it is time to process your application or when you are collecting your new passport.

The Swedish Migration Agency takes your photo and your fingerprints when you hand in your application. Your photo, your fingerprints and your personal details are stored in a computer microchip in the alien’s passport. These details are not stored by the Swedish Migration Agency but only in the computer microchip. Children under 6 do not need to have their fingerprints taken.

Normally there is an application fee when applying for an alien’s passport. You can pay the fee with a credit/debit card when you hand in your application, or ask for a payment slip and pay later. The Migration Agency will process your application once you have paid the fee.

Application fees for aliens' passports


The Swedish Migration Agency processes the application

At the Swedish Migration Agency’s website you can find out roughly how long the processing time currently is. The decision can take longer if the case officer needs to contact you for more information. Make sure that all the documents are included so that we do not need you to supplement your application.

When the Swedish Migration Agency processes your application for an alien’s passport, it obtains information from the Swedish Police Authority’s criminal records and suspected offenders registry.

Current processing times


You receive the decision

The decision is sent home to you in the post. If the Swedish Migration Agency has granted you the right to an alien’s passport we will send you a communication when your passport is ready to be collected. It can take up to 14 days from the date that you received the decision before you can collect your alien’s passport at the permit unit where you applied for it.

You can only appeal the Swedish Migration Agency's decision if your applications for an alien's passport and residence permit were rejected simultaneously.


Schedule an appointment to pick up your passport

If you have been granted an alien’s passport you will need to book an appointment before you visit the Swedish Migration Agency. Remember to book an appointment for each person who is collecting an alien’s passport. If you are collecting a passport on behalf of your children, you need to book an appointment for each alien’s passport that you are collecting.

You should pick up your alien’s passport at the same Permit Unit or Service Center where you submitted your application, unless you have received information stating that you should pick it up at another location.


Pick up your passport from the Swedish Migration Agency

You must collect your passport in person. For children under 18, the guardian or trustee can collect the alien’s passport without the child being present.

Children over 15 can collect their own alien’s passport if the Swedish Migration Agency has a record of the guardian’s request for this at the time of the application.

Those who pick up the passport(s) must bring valid identification.

Last updated: 28 February 2020

Was the information on this page helpful to you?