The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Travel document

To be granted a travel document, you need to be considered a refugee in accordance with the 1951 Geneva Convention or be stateless and fulfil the requirements of the 1954 New York Convention.

Apply for a travel docu­ment

To apply for a travel document you need to fill out form number 109021, Application for travel document, and hand it in personally at one of the Swedish Migration Agency’s permit units. Before you visit the Swedish Migration Agency to hand in your application you need to book an appointment. You need to book an appointment for each person who is applying for a travel document and each person must hand in their own form.

Ansökan om resedokument, blankett nummer 108021 (in Swedish)PDF

Application for travel document, form number 109021 (in English)PDF

Read more about how to apply for a travel document

Book an appointment to submit your application

Children under 18

Children under 18 may not fill out their own application for a travel document. The child’s legal guardian or custodian must apply for the travel document on behalf of the child.

If there are two guardians, both must approve the application by signing the child’s application form. If only one of the guardians accompanies the child to the Swedish Migration Agency and hands in the application, the other must sign the application form in advance. The signature must be witnessed by a third person.

A child who has no parents living in Sweden must have his/her trustee with him/her when handing the application to the Swedish Migration Agency.


Applications for a travel document are free of charge but you need to pay a fee when you collect your travel document. You can pay by credit/debit card when you visit the Swedish Migration Agency to collect your travel document. If you are unable to pay with a credit card, you should request a payment slip when you apply for a travel document. Pay the fee when you receive the decision stating that you have been granted a travel document. The Swedish Migration Agency does not accept cash, and cannot release your travel document until the fee has been paid.

Application fees for travel documents

Proces­sing time

At the Swedish Migration Agency’s website you can find out roughly how long the processing time currently is. The decision can take longer if the case officer needs to contact you for more information.

When the Swedish Migration Agency has processed your application we will send you the decision in the post.

Current processing times

Picking up a travel docu­ment

You should pick up your travel document at the same Permit Unit or Service Center where you submitted your application, unless you have received information stating that you should pick up your travel document at another location. If you would like to pick up your travel document at another location, you should speak with staff about this when you submit your application.

You can pay the fee with a credit card when you pick up your travel document, or with a payment slip before you come to pick it up.

You must bring valid identification when you pick up your travel document.

Book an appointment to pick up a travel document

Travel­ling with a travel docu­ment

The travel document meets the EU's passport requirements and can be used for travel to all countries. But if you are a refugee in accordance with the 1951 Geneva Convention, your passport will specify that you are not permitted to travel to your home country or the country you have fled from.

If you were unable to prove your identity, your travel document will state that your identity is unproven, which could make it more difficult to travel to certain countries.

You may need a visa to travel to some countries. Please contact the appropriate country's embassy to obtain more information before you travel.

Travel docu­ment vali­dity

A travel document is normally valid for five years and cannot be extended. If you need a travel document when the validity period has expired you can apply for a new one.

When you wish to apply for a new travel document you will need to have your photo and fingerprints taken again, as your photo and your fingerprints are not saved at the Swedish Migration Agency, but only in a computer microchip in the travel document.

If you lose your travel docu­ment

If you lose your travel document or if it is stolen, you should first report this to the police. If you need a new travel document, you must submit a new application. When you apply for a new travel document, please bring a copy of the police report that you have received at the post office or the police station.

How to apply for a travel document

If your appli­ca­tion is rejected

If the Swedish Migration Agency rejects your application for a travel document you can appeal the decision. Your notice of appeal must arrive at the Swedish Migration Agency no later than three weeks after the date that you received the decision.

Last updated: 28 February 2020

Was the information on this page helpful to you?