How to apply for Swedish citizenship
The following contains information about how you can apply for Swedish citizenship as an adult.
Check that you meet the requirements before you apply
You must meet all of the requirements for becoming a Swedish citizen when you submit an application. If you do not meet the requirements, then your application will be rejected.
To be able to become a Swedish citizen, you must
- be able to prove your identity
- be 18 years of age or older
- have a permanent residence permit (a temporary residence permit is not applicable) or
- have a right of residence or residence card (applies to you if you are an EU citizen or a close relative of an EU citizen)
- have met the requirements for habitual residence (i.e. lived in Sweden for a certain amount of time)
- have conducted yourself well while in Sweden.
You can include your children in your application
If you have children who are under the age of 18 and who live in Sweden, they can become Swedish citizens at the same time as you.
In order to include your children in your application, you must have sole custody over the child or children, or joint custody with another parent who has given their consent.
If you include your children in your application, then you must keep in mind that
- it is necessary to add the details of your child or children to your application (do not send a separate application for the children)
- the children who have reached the age of 12 must agree that they want to become Swedish citizens (in a web application, the children must sign with BankID and in a form application, they must sign by hand)
- if your children are not born in Sweden then you need to send an original copy of a decision which states that you have sole custody of the children
- you do not need to pay fees for children.
Information for applicants who have children during the processing period
If you have children during the processing period and want your new child to become a Swedish citizen at the same time as you, then you and the other custodian of the child must inform the Swedish Migration Agency of this by sending a letter signed by you both.
You must send the following documents alongside your application if you are an EU/EEA citizen
Submit your application online
Before beginning your application make sure that you
- have a valid email address
- have a BankID
- are able to pay the fees by card or via online banking at the same time as you make your application (your card must be activated for online banking)
- have your national passport or identity card from your country of origin to hand as we will ask questions about information contained in these documents.
Apply online as follows
- log in
- answer all questions in order to progress through your application (only use the buttons in the form to navigate back and forward through the pages).
If you are applying for your child only, it is information about the child you should fill in
If you are applying for a child, then the custodian(s) need to sign the application. If the child is over 12 years old, the child must also sign with BankID.
When you apply online, you pay the fee with a credit card in connection with the application. You can pay with VISA and MasterCard. The card must be enabled for Internet payment. Contact your bank for more information.
Problems paying by card
If you experience any problems paying your application fee by card, then you will generally see an error notification with technical information on how to proceed. These types of problems are unrelated to the Swedish Migration Agency’s system and we are therefore unable to provide support for them. If you have problems paying with your card, please contact your bank.
If you are unable to apply online
If you are unable to apply online, you can complete the form entitled Application for Swedish Citizenship for Adults, number 316011. You will find information on the application form explaining which documents you need to attach.
Send your application to:
601 70 Norrköping