The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Additional documents for EU/EEA citizens

If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you need to be able to demonstrate that you have and have had right of residence and that your stay over the last five years has thereby been legal. You should therefore submit documents which demonstrate that you have worked, been self-employed, had your own funds or studied in Sweden.

If you work or have worked then you should send

  • a certificate of employment or an employer’s certificate which contains details about your period of employment and employment conditions over the last five years
  • a certificate from the Swedish Public Employment Service which shows you have been a job seeker in the case you were unemployed for six months or more
  • a certificate from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency if you have been unfitted for work due to illness or accident for a period of six months or more.

If you are or have been self-employed then you should send

  • a registration certificate and F-tax card for the company
  • declarations or other documentation which show that the company has been
    active during the last five years.

If you have or have had your own funds, then you should send

  • documentation which shows that you have had sufficient funds for the support and maintenance of you and your family over the last five years; e.g. pension payments, a salary from abroad or bank funds
  • housing costs for the last five years
  • a certificate which shows that nobody in your family has received maintenance support over the last five years.

If you study or have studied, then you should send

  • transcripts for your periods of study
  • a certificate which shows you have been able to support yourself during your time as a student.

Last updated: 2020-12-01