Additional documents for family members of EU/EEA citizens

If you are the family member of an EU/EEA citizen, you need to be able to demonstrate that you have and have had right of residence and that your stay has thereby been legal as a result of your close relative’s right of residence. You should therefore submit documents which demonstrate that your close relative has worked, been self-employed, studied or had their own funds in Sweden over the last five years.

If your close relative works or has worked then you should send

  • a certificate of employment or an employer’s certificate which contains details about your close relative’s period of employment and employment conditions over the last five years
  • a certificate from the Swedish Public Employment Service which shows that your close relative has been a job seeker in the case that they were unemployed for six months or more
  • a certificate from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency if your close relative has been unfit for work due to illness or accident for a period of six months or more.

If your close relative is or has been self-employed then you should send

  • a registration certificate for the company
  • declarations or other documentation which show that the company has been active during the last five years.

If your close relative has or has had their own funds, then you should send

  • documentation which shows that your close relative has had sufficient funds for the support and maintenance of the whole family over the last five years; e.g. pension payments, a salary from abroad or bank funds (if you have had your own funds for maintenance then you should list these as well)
  • housing costs for the last five years
  • a certificate which shows that nobody in your family has received maintenance support over the last five years.

If your close relative studies or has studied, then you should send

  • transcripts for your close relative’s periods of study
  • a certificate which shows that your close relative has been able to support him or herself during their time as a student.

Last updated: 2020-12-01