The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Application for Swedish citizenship for children with one Swedish parent

A child under the age of 18 who has at least one Swedish parent can become a Swedish citizen if the parent applies for this. The parent who applies for citizenship on behalf of the child must be the child’s legal guardian.

The child can become a Swedish citizen through application if

  • the child's identity is proven
  • the child have a permanent residence permit, a right of residence or a residence card in Sweden
  • the child, if it has turned 15, has lived in Sweden with a residence permit for settlement for three years and have conducted themselves well.

Read more about proven identity

Read more about good conduct

Make sure you fulfil the requi­re­ments before you apply

When you submit an application for Swedish citizenship The Migration Agency will investigate if the child fulfil all requirements. If the child does not fulfil the requirements when the application is send in the child may be rejected. You then have to send in a new application when the requirements are fulfilled and pay the fee again.

The application must be submitted by the legal guardian of the child who is a Swedish citizen.

Consent required

If the child has more than one legal guardian the other legal guardian must also sign the application.

The children who have reached the age of 12 must agree that they want to become Swedish citizens. In a web application, the children must sign with BankID and in a form application, they must sign by hand.

Make your appli­ca­tion online

In most cases you must pay a fee.

Application fees for citizenship

Further docu­ments for EU/​​​EEA citi­zens and their rela­tives

If the child has been settled in Sweden and has had right of residence for five years, we will assess whether the child's parents meet the requirements for right of residence in connection with their notification of, or application for Swedish citizenship. Therefore you should enclose documents showing that you fulfil the requirements for right of residence or residence card.

This is how you prove your right of residence

After the deci­sion has been made

The Swedish Migration Agency will send the decision to you. If the child has become a Swedish citizen, we will also send a copy of the certificate to the population registry at the Swedish Tax Agency. You turn to the police if you wish to apply for a Swedish passport for the child.

The Swedish Migration Agency will send the decision to your address listed in the population registry. If the child has become a Swedish citizen, we will also inform the Swedish Tax Agency of the decision. We will also put a block on the child's residence permit card, which means that the card will be invalid and can no longer be used for travel. You should not send in the child's residence permit card to the Swedish Migration Agency. You can destroy the card yourself by cutting it up.

Swedish passports

If the child have become a Swedish citizen you can apply for a Swedish passport. An application for a Swedish passport is done through the Police.

If the child are abroad and wish to apply for a Swedish passport you can do so at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general.

The Swedish Policeexternal link, opens in new window

Swedish embassies and consulates-generalexternal link, opens in new window

If you do not submit a noti­fi­ca­tion online

If you are not able to submit a notification online, you must fill out the form Ansökan om svenskt medborgarskap för barn under 18 år, number 317011 (only in Swedish). The application form specifies which documents to enclose.

We need the signatures of both custodians (just one signature in the event of sole custody). If the child is over 12 years old, he or she must also sign the application.

Ansökan om svenskt medborgarskap för barn under 18 år, form number 317011 (in Swedish only)PDF

Send the application to

The Swedish Migration Agency
Citizenship Unit
601 70 Norrköping

In most cases you must pay a fee.

Application fees for citizenship

Last updated: 2021-02-08

Was the information on this page helpful to you?