Swedish citizenship for children born abroad before 1 April 2015 who have a Swedish father
A child born abroad before 1 April 2015 who has a Swedish father and a foreign mother does not become a Swedish citizen if its parents are not married. The child's father may submit a notification of Swedish citizenship for the child.
The child can become a Swedish citizen through notification if
- the father is a Swedish citizen since the birth of the child and
- the child has not turned 18 and
- a valid established paternity exists when the notification occurs.
All requirements must be fulfilled when the notification is submitted.
The notification must be submitted only by the father of the child.
If you have married after the birth of the child
If you and the child's mother have married each other after the birth of the child, the child automatically becomes a Swedish citizen. Then you do not need to submit a notification of Swedish citizenship.
If the child has more than one legal guardian the other legal guardian must also sign the notification.
Children who have turned 12 must give their written consent to become a Swedish citizen.
If the person the notification concerns has children
If the person the notification concerns has children who are living in Sweden, they can become Swedish citizens by means of the same notification if
- the person has sole custody, or
- the other custody holder is a Swedish citizen, or
- the other custody holder will become a Swedish citizen at the same time.
You fill out the form Anmälan om svenskt medborgarskap för barn med svensk far, fött utom äktenskap utanför Sverige före den 1 april 2015, number 321011 (in Swedish only).
If the child is not registered in Sweden, send the notification to a Swedish embassy or consulate.
Is the child registered in Sweden, you send the notification to
The Swedish Migration Agency
601 70 Norrköping
You should enclose
- certificate of paternity and/or other equivalent document
- document (passport for example) which shows your citizenship at the time of the child's birth and on the occasion of notification (if you are not registered in Sweden)
- custody decision if you have sole custody of the child or if someone other than you and the child's mother has custody.
If the child lives abroad you also need to enclose
- birth certificate.
All copies which you send are to be certified.
In most cases you must pay a fee. Note that if you submit the notification at a Swedish embassy or consulate, you pay the fee there.
After the decision has been made
The Swedish Migration Agency will send the decision to you or to the Swedish embassy or consulate if you live abroad.