Swedish citizenship for children who are Nordic citizens

Children under the age of 18 who is a citizen of Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway can become a Swedish citizen through a notification to the County administrative board. Children may also become Swedish citizens in conjunction with a parent becoming a Swedish citizen.

The child can become a Swedish citizen through notification if the child

  • has lived in Sweden for three years and
  • has not turned 18.

All requirements must be fulfilled when the notification is submitted.

The notification must be submitted by the child's legal guardian.

Consent required

If the child has more than one legal guardian the other legal guardian must also sign the notification.

Children who have turned 12 must give their written consent to become a Swedish citizen.

If the person the notification concerns has children

If the person the notification concerns has children who are living in Sweden, they can become Swedish citizens by means of the same notification if

  • the person has sole custody, or
  • the other custody holder is a Swedish citizen, or
  • the other custody holder will become a Swedish citizen at the same time.

Submit­ting a noti­fi­ca­tion

You apply by using the form Anmälan om svenskt medborgarskap för barn som bor i Sverige, number 318011.

Anmälan om svenskt medborgarskap för barn som bor i Sverige, form number 318011 (in Swedish only)PDF

Enclose the following docu­ments

  • civic registration certificate for Swedish citizenship for the child
  • custody decision if someone other than the child's mother or father has custody.

All copies which are enclosed are to be certified.

You will find information about where to send the notification at the county administrative boards' websites.

Contact information and links to all county administrative boards (in Swedish)external link, opens in new window

The Swedish Tax Agencyexternal link, opens in new window (to order a civic registration certificate)

When you enclose original documents, you should send the notification as registered mail. The post office will help you do this.

Send by registered mailexternal link, opens in new window


Notification costs SEK 175. To find out how to pay, contact the county administrative board to which you will submit your notification.

After the deci­sion has been made

The county administrative board will send the decision to you. If the child has become a Swedish citizen and you wish to apply for a Swedish passport, you must apply to the police.

Last updated: 2021-02-15