The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Notification of Swedish citizenship for Nordic citizens

Notification is a simplified means of applying for citizenship for citizens of a Nordic country. The county administrative board will process your notification.

If you are a citizen in Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway, you can become a Swedish citizen through notification if you

  • have reached the age of 18 and 
  • have fulfilled the requirements for period of residence (have lived in Sweden for five years) and
  • have not been sent to prison or any other form of detention within the last five years.

All these conditions must be fulfilled when the notification is submitted.

If you have children

Your unmarried children under the age of 18 who are residents in Sweden, will become Swedish citizens at the same time as you, provided that

  • you have sole custody of the child or children or
  • you share custody with the other parent and he or she is a Swedish citizen or
  • the other parent becomes a Swedish citizen at the same time as you.

Submit­ting a noti­fi­ca­tion

Fill out the form Anmälan om svenskt medborgarskap för medborgare i Danmark, Finland, Island eller Norge, number 306031.

Anmälan om svenskt medborgarskap för medborgare i Danmark, Finland, Island eller Norge, form number 306031 (in Swedish only)PDF

Enclose the following docu­ments

Enclose a civic registration certificate, no more than two months old, for you and your children living in Sweden. You order the civic registration certificate entitled Ansökan om svenskt medborgarskap from the Swedish Tax Agency.

You will find information about where to send the notification at the county administrative boards' websites.

Contact information and links to all county administrative boards external link, opens in new window(in Swedish only)

The Swedish Tax Agencyexternal link, opens in new window (to order a civic registration certificate)

When you enclose original documents, you should send the notification as registered mail. The post office will help you do this.

Send by registered mailexternal link, opens in new window


The notification costs SEK 475. To find out how to pay, contact the county administrative board to which you will submit your notification.

After the deci­sion has been made

The county administrative board will send the decision to you. If you have become a Swedish citizen and wish to apply for a Swedish passport, you must apply to the police.

Last updated: 2020-03-12

Was the information on this page helpful to you?