The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Swedish Migration Agency

Declaration of Citizenship

Is it unclear whether you are a Swedish citizen? Then you can apply for a written Declaration of Citizenship that shows that you are a Swedish citizen.

If you are unsure if you have been granted or lost Swedish citizenship, you can apply for a Declaration of Citizenship. It may, for example, be unclear whether

  • you became a Swedish citizen when you were born
  • you have lost your Swedish citizenship due to being born abroad and never having lived in Sweden
  • you lost your Swedish citizenship when you became a citizen of another country.


You submit a written application in the form of an ordinary letter. The application should contain details of

  • when you were born
  • where you were born
  • which citizenship(s) your parents had at the time of your birth
  • if your parents are/were married, and when they married
  • how you obtained your Swedish and any foreign citizenship.

You must sign your application upon your honour. You should submit your application to a Swedish embassy or a Swedish consulate.

If you live in Sweden, you should instead send your application to:

The Swedish Migration Agency
Citizenship Unit
601 70 Norrköping

Last updated: 2015-07-07

Was the information on this page helpful to you?