EU citizens and their family members who have lived in Sweden for five years

When you as an EU citizen or close relative of an EU citizen have had right of residence and lived in Sweden for five years, you are granted permanent right of residence.

If you want a certificate of your permanent right of residence you can apply for one.

If you are a non-EU citizen and a close relative of an EU citizen you should instead apply for a permanent residence card.

If you have lived in Sweden for five years and meet the requirements for right of residence, residence card or have a permanent residence permit you may be eligible for Swedish citizenship.

Learn more about permanent right of residence

Learn more about permanent residence card

Learn more about becoming a Swedish citizen

Last updated: 2016-04-20

Was the information on this page helpful to you?