The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

How to apply for a residence permit if you are a long-term resident of the EU

If you have long-term resident status in another EU country and want to stay longer than three months in Sweden, you must apply for a residence permit.

You may begin working or studying as soon as you arrive in Sweden. You do not need to wait for your application to be processed. However, you must register for taxes and contributions with the Swedish Tax Agency, and you may need to register your business with the Swedish Companies Registration Office, before you start running your own business. If you are a student, you may work as well as study without having to apply for a specific work permit.

Read more at the Swedish Tax Agency websiteexternal link, opens in new window

Read more at the Swedish Companies Registration websiteexternal link, opens in new window

How to apply

You fill in the form Application for residence permit for persons who are long-term residents in another Member State and their family members, number 137011, and send this or hand it in to one of the Swedish Migration Agency's permit units.

To have your application assessed you need to pay an application fee.

Application for residence permit for persons who are long-term residents in another Member State and their family members, form number 137011PDF

The Migration Agency's visiting addresses and opening hours

Postal addresses to the Migration Agency's Permit Units

Application fees for long-term residents

When you apply you must always enclose

  • copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin.
  • a copy of your residence permit card which shows that you have an EC/EU residence permit for long-term residents in another EU country.

If you are an employee, you must also enclose

Anställningsintyg för personer med ställning som varaktigt bosatta i annan EU-stat, form number 227021 (to be filled out by employers in Sweden. In Swedish only)PDF

Read more about which details the certificate of employment should include

If you have your own busi­ness, you must also enclose

  • F-tax card and certificate of registration from the Swedish Companies Registration Office
  • the most recent VAT report (if your business is obliged to report VAT)
  • evidence that you run the business, for example, customer invoices, receipts for materials that you have purchased and rental contracts for the business' premises.

If you have bought a business in Sweden, you must also include

  • the transfer agreement
  • the most recent annual report.

If you are a student, you must also enclose

  • certificate of admission to a course which is at upper-secondary school level (gymnasium) or higher. Please note that you cannot be granted a residence permit to study Swedish for Immigrants (SFI)
  • certificate which proves that you are covered by the social insurance system in your country of origin. The certificate should be issued by the authorities in your country of origin and it should indicate that you are covered by another EU country's social insurance system. If you cannot get a certificate like this, you must sign up for comprehensive private health insurance which will be valid during your stay in Sweden
  • an assurance that you have enough money to support yourself.

If you are a pensioner or have suffi­cient means you must also enclose

  • documents which show how you support yourself, for example, pension statements or bank statements showing your assets
  • document showing your housing cost.

If you are a provider or reci­pient of services you must also enclose

  • a certificate, contract or something similar showing what sort of services these are and how long you will offer or be in receipt of these. The document should be written and signed by whoever is in receipt of or offers these services.

Shorter processing times for complete applications

For the Swedish Migration Agency to make a decision about your application, all the details need to be filled in and all necessary documents enclosed. This means that the processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.

Note that the Migration Agency may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.

When we have receive your application

If you are granted a permit which is valid for more than three months, you will receive a residence permit card. The card is proof that you have permission to be in Sweden and contains a photograph of you and your fingerprints. You will, therefore, need to visit the Swedish Migration Agency to be photographed and fingerprinted as soon as possible after you have submitted your application or arrived in Sweden. You need to do this, even if you have previously had a residence permit card. This is because the Swedish Migration Agency does not save your photograph or fingerprints. In order to be photographed and fingerprinted you will need to make an appointment.

Read more about residence permit card

The Migration Agency's visiting addresses and opening hours

Book an appointment before you visit us

When a decision has been made, it will be sent to your address in Sweden.

Read more about what happens after the decision has been made

Last updated: 2020-06-15

Was the information on this page helpful to you?