The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Residence permit requirements for long-term residents of the EU

If you are a long-term resident of an EU country, you may move to Sweden to work, study or live by your own means, for example, on a pension from your country of origin. If you wish to stay for longer than three months, you will need a residence permit.

To get a residence permit you should

  • have a valid passport or a valid travel document proving your identity
  • have long-term resident status in the EU country you previously lived in and have received the special residence permit called the EC/EU residence permit for long-term residents
  • be able to support yourself in Sweden as an employee, student, self-employed person or on a pension or other sufficient assets.

How to apply for a residence permit

Last updated: 2020-02-24

Was the information on this page helpful to you?