Online application for you who are an EU citizen planning to marry or become the cohabiting partner of someone who lives in Sweden
You can print out this information and use it to help you in the application process.
To apply online, you need
- to be 18 years or older, and so must the person you are joining in Sweden
- a valid email address
- be able to pay the application fee by VISA or MasterCard at the same time you apply for a residence permit. The card must be enabled for Internet payment
- to be able to scan or photograph the documents you need to enclose
- to have a programme that can read pdf files, for example Acrobat Reader.
With your application you need to enclose
- copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin, or of your national ID card that shows your citizenship. You should copy both sides of the ID card.
If your passport or national ID card is about to expire, you should extend it as you cannot be given permits beyond the expiry date of your passport.
If you are not married and have not previously lived with the person you are joining in Sweden, you can also enclose
- a certificate of population registration or equivalent showing that you are unmarried.
If you have children under the age of 18 who are moving to Sweden with you, you must also enclose
- copies of the pages in the child's passport that shows their personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether the child have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin, or of the child's national ID card
- birth certificate or equivalent document on which the parents' names appear
- consent from the child's other guardian if they are not coming to Sweden or proof of sole custody. This can for example be a court decision, or a death certificate if the other parent is deceased. Applies to children under 18.
- adoption documents if the child was adopted.
If you are pregnant, you must also enclose
- certificate of pregnancy.
These documents should be translated into Swedish or English by an authorised translator.
Before you begin your application
The Migration Agency recommends that you use a computer when you make your application and that you use Internet Explorer.