Online application for you who are an EU citizen and the spouse, registered partner, or cohabiting partner of someone in Sweden
You can print out this information and use it to help you in the application process.
To apply online, you need
- to be over 18 years or older, and so must the person you are joining in Sweden
- a valid email address
- be able to pay the application fee by VISA or MasterCard at the same time you apply for a residence permit. The card must be enabled for Internet payment
- to be able to scan or photograph the documents you need to enclose
- to have a programme that can read pdf files, for example Acrobat Reader.
With your application you need to enclose
- copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin, or of your national ID card that shows your citizenship. You should copy both sides of the ID card.
If your passport or national ID card is about to expire, you should extend it as you cannot be given permits beyond the expiry date of your passport.
If you are married to or a registered partner of the person you are joining in Sweden, you must also enclose
- marriage certificate or equivalent
- any documents proving that the marriage has been registered in your country of origin.
If you lived together with the person you are joining in Sweden in your country of origin or elsewhere, you must also enclose
- a certificate of population registration, rental contract or proof of purchase for your residence or other documents showing that you have a shared residence.
If you have children under the age of 18 who are moving to Sweden with you, you must also enclose
- copies of the pages in the child's passport that shows their personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether the child have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin, or of thje child's national ID card
- birth certificate or equivalent document on which the parents' names appear
- consent from the child's other guardian if they are not coming to Sweden or proof of sole custody. This can for example be a court decision, or a death certificate if the other parent is deceased. Applies to children under 18.
- adoption documents if the child was adopted.
If you are pregnant, you must also enclose
- certificate of pregnancy.
These documents should be translated into Swedish or English by an authorised translator.
If you have already submitted an application
If you have submitted an application for a residence permit that has not yet been decided on, please do not submit a new online application. Instead, contact the Swedish Migration Agency if you want to provide additional information in the case. The processing time in your case will not be shortened if you make a new online application.
We have disturbances in our online payment service and receipts are not provided at all times. However, your payment will reach us even if you do not receive a receipt.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.