How to apply for a residence permit to live with a close relative in Sweden

If you have children under the age of 18

You cannot apply online if you want your application to also include your children under 18 years of age. This also applies if your relative in Sweden is a Swedish citizen. You must contact a Swedish embassy or consulate-general to submit your application.


Fill in the application

In the application, fill in information about yourself and the person in Sweden that you want to move to. You must also enclose various documents. In addition to the address, telephone number and email address of the family member in Sweden, you also need his or her Swedish personal identity number.

You must also specify the Swedish embassy or consulate-general you wish to visit to do your interview. You must visit the embassy or consulate-general in the country you live in. If there is no Swedish embassy or consulate-general in the country, you are to contact the nearest neighbouring country in which there is a Swedish embassy or consulate-general and where you have permission to travel.

In order to apply online

  • you and the person moving to Sweden must be older than 18
  • you must have a valid email address
  • you must be able to pay the application fee by Visa or MasterCard
  • you must be able to scan or photograph the documents you are enclosing.

Learn more about the requirements for an online application

Documents to be enclosed are

  • copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature (where appropriate), passport number, passport issuing country, the passport's period of validity and permission to live in countries other than your country of origin
  • documents that show how you and the person in Sweden are related to one another
  • a testimonial showing that you and your relative are dependent on each other and have difficulty living apart
  • documents that show that you have lived together with your relative immediately before he or she moved to Sweden.

You need to send documents showing what your relationship is. If you have lived together in your country of origin, you must send documents that prove this. The documents you are sending along with the information in the application help the Swedish Migration Agency decide if you can get a residence permit and the period of validity of the permit.

Make sure that the information on the documents you enclose is clearly visible. Check that the numbers and characters at the top and bottom of the passport pages is clear and legible. The documents should be translated to Swedish or English by an authorised translator. Copies of original documents should always be included.

If you have already submitted an application

If you have submitted an application for a residence permit that has not yet been decided on, please do not submit a new online application. Instead, contact the Swedish Migration Agency if you want to provide additional information in the case. The waiting time in your case will not be shortened if you make a new online application.

Power of attorney to represent you

If you want someone else to represent you in your case with the Migration Agency, you can grant someone a power of attorney. A power of attorney may, for example, give someone else the right to make an application, be advised of the reasons for a decision or appeal against a decision on your behalf. The power of attorney must be written and signed by you as the person granting the power of attorney to someone else, and must be presented, in the original, if requested by the Migration Agency. If you are 18 years or older and want a member of your family to represent you, you will also need to submit a power of attorney.

To grant a power of attorney to another person, you may use the form Power of Attorney. The form applies to you if you have applied for a residence permit on the grounds of work, study, connections or visit.

Power of Attorney, form number 107011PDF

If you want your family member in Sweden to represent you, you can give him or her power of attorney. If your family member has power of attorney, the decision will be sent to them, and it is his or her responsibility to inform you of the Migration Agency's decision. If you have not given power of attorney to anyone, the embassy or consulate-general will inform you of the decision.


Pay the fee

In most cases you must pay a fee. You pay the fee by credit card or debit card at the time of application. The application will determine whether or not you need to pay based on the information you fill in about yourself and your family member.

Read more about fees


Questionnaire for the family member in Sweden

Once the Migration Agency has received your application, the member of your family will be sent an email. This will contain instructions for logging in online to get access to a form with questions about his/her income and home, and about your relationship. The member of your family has to answer these questions within two weeks.

Read more about the maintenance requirement


Book an appointment at the embassy or consulate-general

When the Migration Agency has reviewed your application and questionnaire, you will receive an email asking you to book an appointment for an interview at the embassy or consulate-general.

Swedish embassies and consulates-generalexternal link, opens in new window



Bring your passport and originals of the documents you submitted with your application. During the interview you will have to answer questions about your relationship with the person in Sweden. Children applying must also attend.

If you receive a residence permit you will also receive a residence permit card. The card includes information such as your fingerprints and a photograph of you. The fingerprints and photograph are only stored on the card's chip.

If you need a visa to travel to Sweden, you need a residence permit card when you travel to Sweden. You will therefore be photographed and asked to provide your fingerprints in connection with your interview.

If you do not need a visa to travel to Sweden, you can travel without a residence permit card and submit information for the residence permit card to the Migration Agency after arriving in Sweden.

Read more about residence permit cards

Read about how the Migration Agency works with LGBT and gender issues


The Migration Agency processes the application

For the Migration Agency to make a decision about your application all the details need to be filled in and all necessary documents enclosed. This means that the processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.

Note that the Migration Agency may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.

If the Migration Agency needs more information from you

The Migration Agency will contact you if we need additional information or documents from you. You do not need to contact the Migration Agency. If you have applied online and the Migration Agency asks you to supplement your application, please do so via email. You should not submit documents to the Migration Agency by regular mail. You can learn more about how to supplement your case in the email that the Migration Agency sends when you need to submit more information.

Current processing times

Waiting for a decision

Your permit must be ready before you travel to Sweden. While you are waiting for the decision, you can apply for a visa to temporarily visit Sweden. If you are granted a visitor's visa, you must return to your home country when it expires and wait for the decision regarding your residence permit. You can only apply for a visa at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in a country outside of Sweden. Other member states that represent Sweden cannot grant visa applications during the period you are waiting. People with visa exemptions waiting for a residence permit can also temporarily visit Sweden.


Receiving the decision

When the decision is made you will receive an email. You should contact the embassy or consulate-general to receive the decision documentation and possibly schedule a time to collect it. You need to bring your passport when collecting the decision. Some embassies and consulates-general send out the decision and the residence permit card by mail. Please contact the embassy or consulate-general for further information.

If you have given someone power of attorney to represent you, the decision will be sent it to that person. He or she will inform you of the decision.

Read more under After the decision has been made

Technical problems?

Contact our web support.

NOTE! To use our online application your web browser must allow JavaScript.

Begin application

I am presently

You can not submit an online application to move to a family member if you are already in Sweden. You must return to your country of origin, or where you are permanently resident, and make your application from there.

Last updated: 2018-08-02

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.