How to apply for a residence permit to live with someone in Sweden whom you are planning to marry or become cohabiting partners with


Fill in the application

In the application, fill in information about yourself and the person in Sweden that you want to move to. You shall also enclose various documents. In addition to the address, telephone number and email address of the family member in Sweden, you also need his or her Swedish personal identity number.

You must also specify the Swedish embassy or consulate-general you wish to visit to do your interview. You must visit the embassy or consulate-general in the country you live in. If there is no Swedish embassy or consulate-general in the country, you are to contact the nearest neighbouring country in which there is a Swedish embassy or consulate-general and where you have permission to travel. If you have children under 18 who are also moving to Sweden, you can apply for a residence permit for them at the same time.

In order to apply online

  • you and the person moving to Sweden must be older than 18
  • you must have a valid email address
  • you must be able to pay the application fee by Visa or MasterCard
  • you must be able to scan or photograph the documents you are enclosing.

Learn more about the requirements for an online application

Documents to be enclosed

  • copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature (where appropriate), passport number, passport issuing country, the passport's period of validity and permission to live in countries other than your country of origin.

If your passport is about to expire, you should renew it as you cannot obtain a permit for longer than the validity of your passport.

If you are unmarried, you must also enclose

  • a civil registration certificate or similar that proves you are unmarried.

If you have children under 18 who will move with you to Sweden, you must also enclose

  • a copy of the child's passport showing personal information and the period of validity
  • a birth certificate where the parents' names are indicated
  • consent for the child moving with you to Sweden from the other custodian if they are not accompanying you to Sweden
  • a court decision if you have sole custody or a death certificate if the other parent is deceased
  • adoption papers if the child is adopted.

In Sweden, both custodians have the right to participate in decisions concerning the child. Therefore, the other custodian who is not coming to Sweden must give consent for the child to move to Sweden. Consent can be in the form of a letter signed by the other custodian which states that he or she approves of the child moving.

If you are pregnant, you must also enclose

  • a certificate of pregnancy.

Make sure that the information on the documents you enclose is clearly visible. Check that the numbers and characters at the top and bottom of the passport pages is clear and legible. The documents should be translated to Swedish or English by an authorised translator. Copies of original documents should always be included.

A statement of consent is a signed letter from the parent who has custody but will not be accompanying the child to Sweden, in which he or she agrees that your child shouldbe granted a residence permit to settle in Sweden. The statement of consent should contain

  • the name, date of birth and address of the parent who consents
  • the name and date of birth of the child to which the statement of consent relates
  • a statement that the parent agrees that the child should be granted a residence permit to settle in Sweden
  • the signature of parent consenting, along with his or her name in printed letters.

If you have already submitted an application

If you have submitted an application for a residence permit that has not yet been decided on, please do not submit a new online application. Instead, contact the Swedish Migration Agency if you want to provide additional information in the case. The waiting time in your case will not be shortened if you make a new online application.

Power of attorney to represent you

If you want someone else to represent you in your case with the Migration Agency, you can grant someone a power of attorney. A power of attorney may, for example, give someone else the right to make an application, be advised of the reasons for a decision or appeal against a decision on your behalf. The power of attorney must be written and signed by you as the person granting the power of attorney to someone else, and must be presented, in the original, if requested by the Migration Agency. If you are 18 years or older and want a member of your family to represent you, you will also need to submit a power of attorney.

To grant a power of attorney to another person, you may use the form Power of Attorney. The form applies to you if you have applied for a residence permit on the grounds of work, study, connections or visit.

Power of Attorney, form number 107011PDF

If you want your family member in Sweden to represent you, you can give him or her power of attorney. If your family member has power of attorney, the decision will be sent to them, and it is his or her responsibility to inform you of the Migration Agency's decision. If you have not given power of attorney to anyone, the embassy or consulate-general will inform you of the decision.


Pay the fee

In most cases you must pay a fee. You pay the fee by credit card or debit card at the time of application. The application will determine whether or not you need to pay based on the information you fill in about yourself and your family member.

Read more about fees


Questionnaire for the family member in Sweden

Once the Migration Agency has received your application, the member of your family will be sent an email. This will contain instructions for logging in online to get access to a form with questions about his/her income and home, and about your relationship. The member of your family has to answer these questions within two weeks.

Read more about the maintenance requirement


Book an appointment at the embassy or consulate-general

When the Migration Agency has reviewed your application and questionnaire, you will receive an email asking you to book an appointment for an interview at the embassy or consulate-general.

Swedish embassies and consulates-generalexternal link, opens in new window



Bring your passport and originals of the documents you submitted with your application. During the interview you will have to answer questions about your relationship with the person in Sweden. Children applying must also attend.

If you receive a residence permit you will also receive a residence permit card. The card includes information such as your fingerprints and a photograph of you. The fingerprints and photograph are only stored on the card's chip.

If you need a visa to travel to Sweden, you need a residence permit card when you travel to Sweden. You will therefore be photographed and asked to provide your fingerprints in connection with your interview.

If you do not need a visa to travel to Sweden, you can travel without a residence permit card and submit information for the residence permit card to the Migration Agency after arriving in Sweden.

Read more about residence permit cards

Read about how the Migration Agency works with LGBT and gender issues


The Migration Agency processes the application

For the Migration Agency to make a decision about your application all the details need to be filled in and all necessary documents enclosed. This means that the processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.

Note that the Migration Agency may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.

If the Migration Agency needs more information from you

The Migration Agency will contact you if we need additional information or documents from you. You do not need to contact the Migration Agency. If you have applied online and the Migration Agency asks you to supplement your application, please do so via email. You should not submit documents to the Migration Agency by regular mail. You can learn more about how to supplement your case in the email that the Migration Agency sends when you need to submit more information.

Current processing times

Waiting for a decision

Your permit must be ready before you travel to Sweden. While you are waiting for the decision about your permit, you can apply for a visa to temporarily visit Sweden. Your application for a visitor’s visa is processed by the embassy in the country where you live, and applications are always judged on an individual basis. A necessary precondition for being granted a visa is that the embassy is sure that you intend to leave Sweden when the visa expires. If you are granted a visitor’s visa, it is important that you return home when the visa expires and you must wait there for the decision regarding your residence permit. A residence permit will not usually be granted if you are in Sweden. You can only apply for a visa at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in the country where you live. Other member states that represent Sweden cannot grant visa applications during the period you are waiting. People with visa exemptions who are waiting for a decision regarding their residence permit can also temporarily visit Sweden.


Receiving the decision

When the decision is made you will receive an email. You should contact the embassy or consulate-general to receive the decision documentation and possibly schedule a time to collect it. You need to bring your passport when collecting the decision. Some embassies and consulates-general send out the decision and the residence permit card by mail. Please contact the embassy or consulate-general for further information.

If you have given someone power of attorney to represent you, the decision will be sent it to that person. He or she will inform you of the decision.

Read more under After the decision has been made

Technical problems?

Contact our web support.

NOTE! To use our online application your web browser must allow JavaScript.

Begin application

I am presently

You can not submit an online application to move to a family member if you are already in Sweden. You must return to your country of origin, or where you are permanently resident, and make your application from there.

Last updated: 2018-08-02

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.