How to apply for a residence permit at a Swedish embassy or consulate general to live with someone in Sweden

Applying online makes it easier for you to apply correctly

When applying online you are given clear instructions about how to fill in your application and what you should send with the application. This makes it easier for you to apply correctly and increases your chances of a quick decision.

The member of your family in Sweden can, as your representative, apply online for you if you give him or her a power of attorney. You can hand in a power of attorney for the member of your family when you visit the embassy or the consulate-general.

Read more about power of attorney

Apply for a residence permit online


Fill in the application

Use the Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden form along with the Family details form. In your application, you enter information about yourself and the person you are joining.

If you have children under the age of 18 who will come with you to Sweden, use the Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden for a child under the age of 1 form. Fill out a separate form for each child.

In Sweden, both custodians have the right to participate in decisions concerning the child. Therefore, the other custodian who is not coming to Sweden must give consent for the child to move to Sweden. Consent can be in the form of a letter signed by the other custodian which states that he or she approves of the child moving.

The application form specifies which documents to enclose. Note that the embassy or consulate-general where you hand in your application may require additional documents. For more information, contact the embassy or consulate-general in question.

Power of attorney to represent you

If you want someone else to represent you in your case with the Migration Agency, you can grant someone a power of attorney. A power of attorney may, for example, give someone else the right to make an application, be advised of the reasons for a decision or appeal against a decision on your behalf. The power of attorney must be written and signed by you as the person granting the power of attorney to someone else, and must be presented, in the original, if requested by the Migration Agency. If you are 18 years or older and want a member of your family to represent you, you will also need to submit a power of attorney.

To grant a power of attorney to another person, you may use the form Power of Attorney. The form applies to you if you have applied for a residence permit on the grounds of work, study, connections or visit.

Power of Attorney, form number 107011PDF

If you want your family member in Sweden to represent you, you can give him or her power of attorney. If your family member has power of attorney, the decision will be sent to them, and it is his or her responsibility to inform you of the Migration Agency's decision. If you have not given power of attorney to anyone, the embassy or consulate-general will inform you of the decision.


Submit your application to the embassy or consulate-general

You should submit your application to the Swedish embassy or consulate-general in the country where you live. If there is no possibility to submit an application in your country, you must apply at the embassy or consulate-general closest to your country of residence. Please note that not all embassies or consulates-general handle migration matters. Contact the embassy or consulate-general before your visit to check whether they handle migration issues or to figure out which embassy or consulate-general does. Once you have submitted the application, the embassy or consulate-general will give you an appointment for an interview.

Most applicants will have to pay a fee in connection with handing in their application.

Information about feesexternal link

Swedish embassies and consulates-generalexternal link, opens in new window



Bring your passport and originals of the documents you submitted with your application. During the interview you will have to answer questions about your relationship with the person in Sweden. Children applying must also attend.

If you receive a residence permit you will also receive a residence permit card. The card includes information such as your fingerprints and a photograph of you. The fingerprints and photograph are only stored on the card's chip.

If you need a visa to travel to Sweden, you need a residence permit card when you travel to Sweden. You will therefore be photographed and asked to provide your fingerprints in connection with your interview.

If you do not need a visa to travel to Sweden, you can travel without a residence permit card and submit information for the residence permit card to the Swedish Migration Agency after arriving in Sweden.

After the interview, your application will be sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden. You should expect it to take around four weeks for your application to reach the Migration Agency.

Read more about residence permit cards

Read about how the Swedish Migration Agency works with LGBT and gender issues


Questionnaire for the family member in Sweden

Once the Migration Agency has received your application, a letter will be sent to the member of your family in Sweden with questions about his/her income and home, and about your relationship. S/he has to answer the questions in the letter within four weeks.

Read more about the maintenance requirement


The Swedish Migration Agency processes the application

For the Swedish Migration Agency to make a decision about your application all the details need to be filled in and all necessary documents attached. This means that the processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.

Note that the Migration Agency may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.

Current processing times

Waiting for a decision

Your permit must be ready before you travel to Sweden. While you are waiting for the decision about your permit, you can apply for a visa to temporarily visit Sweden. Your application for a visitor’s visa is processed by the embassy in the country where you live, and applications are always judged on an individual basis. A necessary precondition for being granted a visa is that the embassy is sure that you intend to leave Sweden when the visa expires. If you are granted a visitor’s visa, it is important that you return home when the visa expires and you must wait there for the decision regarding your residence permit. A residence permit will not usually be granted if you are in Sweden. You can only apply for a visa at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in the country where you live. Other member states that represent Sweden cannot grant visa applications during the period you are waiting. People with visa exemptions who are waiting for a decision regarding their residence permit can also temporarily visit Sweden.


Receiving the decision

The embassy or consulate-general will contact you when the decision is ready.

You need to bring your passport when collecting the decision. Some embassies and consulates-general send out the decision and the residence permit card by mail. Please contact the embassy or consulate-general for further information.

Read more under After the decision has been made

Last updated: 2017-04-04

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.