Applying at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general

Here, you can find information on how to apply for a residence permit if you are unable to apply online.

You submit your application personally at your nearest Swedish embassy or consulate-general. You must contact the embassy or consulate-general yourself in order to find out their procedures for submitting an application and for scheduling an interview. At the interview, you will be asked questions about your relationship to your family member in Sweden, among other things. Your original documents are also checked during the interview. See the link Embassies and consulates-general with their own websites at the bottom of the page.

How to apply

You use the form Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden, 161011.

Applications for children under the age of 18 must be made using the form Residence permit to settle in Sweden – for a child under the age of 18, 163011.

The annex Family details, 239011, must also be filled in by each person applying.

DNA sample

You will also sign a document giving your permission for the embassy or consulate-general to conduct a DNA test. Your partner will sign a corresponding document in Sweden in which he or she grants permission for the Swedish Migration Agency to conduct a DNA test. Your partner will submit his or her DNA sample at one of the Swedish Migration Agency’s offices.

Appli­ca­tion for an alien´s passport

If you do not have a passport, you must also apply for an alien’s passport when applying for a residence permit. You apply for an alien’s passport by filling out the form Application for an alien's passport, 191011. You can do this at the embassy or consulate-general in connection with the submission of the application or during the interview. Contact the embassy or consulate-general for more information on how to apply for an alien’s passport.

Appli­ca­tion fee

Most applicants must pay an application fee in conjunction with the submission of their application at the embassy or consulate.

Information on fees

After the deci­sion

When the decision has been made, it will be sent to the embassy or consulate-general. If you have registered a power of attorney where it shows that your close relative in Sweden may represent you, the decision will be sent to him or her, who will then notify you.

If you are granted a resi­dence permit

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. The card is proof that you have a residence permit.

In order for the Swedish Migration Agency to issue you a residence permit card, you will be photographed and have your fingerprints taken at the embassy or consulate-general (children under 6 years of age do not need to provide fingerprints). This can take place when you submit your application, during your interview, or when you have received a residence permit.

Please note that it can take up to four weeks to produce and deliver the residence permit card to the embassy or consulate-general. In order for you to enter Sweden, you must show the residence permit card together with an approved passport.

Last updated: