The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

26 August 2020

Online application for a residence permit extension

The Swedish Migration Agency is launching a new e-service that will make it easier for you to apply for an extension of your residence permit via the internet.

This new e-service is for those who have a temporary residence permit under the temporary law. It can be used by both those who came to Sweden as asylum seekers and by family members who came to Sweden later.

Secure login with e-ID

To use the new e-service, you need a Swedish e-ID (e.g. BankID) and an email address. The first time you use the e-service, you log in with both your e-ID and a code that will be sent to your email address. The next time you log in, you will only need to use your e-ID. This is a secure login which means you can do your entire application on the web and do not have to send any forms to the Swedish Migration Agency.

You can make your application online no earlier than two months before your current residence permit expires, but you no longer have to wait to receive a letter with a code from the Swedish Migration Agency in order to apply.

You can use your e-ID to apply for an extension for both you and your children. Children without any parent/guardian in Sweden can use the e-service themselves, and the Swedish Migration Agency will then contact the child's trustee to have the application confirmed.

Digital attachments

The new e-service is easy to use. You will answer the questions and upload all your documents digitally. At the end of the application, you will see a compilation of your answers and the documents you have uploaded. Prepare yourself by obtaining an e-ID and organising digital copies of the documents you want to attach to your application.

Read more about how to use the new e-service and what documents you need in order to apply

The Swedish Tax Agency has information about how to get an e-ID, if you do not already have one (in Swedish)external link, opens in new window