Financial support for re-establishment

If you are returning to your country of origin, you can apply for financial support from the Migration Agency. The support is for people returning to a country where establishment is difficult due to severe conflicts. You apply for this support while you are in Sweden.

You can receive support if you are returning to one of the following countries:

Afghanistan, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Eritrea, Iraq, Yemen, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Palestine, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria, Chad.

Conditions for receiving support

You may receive support if:

  • your application for asylum has been rejected or if you have withdrawn your application for asylum in Sweden
  • you intend to return voluntarily to a country where the conditions for you to establish yourself are limited due to severe conflicts
  • it is likely that you will be allowed to live the country to which you intend to return
  • you are in Sweden when you apply for support.

Support for your family

Your family members may also receive support; your spouse, cohabiting partner, children under 18 or other close relatives living together with you. In order to receive support, your family members must also be in Sweden when you submit your application.

Application and decision

You can apply for re-establishment support when your asylum application has been rejected or when you have withdrawn your application for asylum. Your application must be submitted no later than two months after you have received the notification of rejection or you have withdrawn your application for asylum.

You may submit your application for re-establishment support to your Reception Officer, and the Migration Agency will decide whether or not you are to receive support. The Migration Agency’s decision on re-establishment support cannot be appealed.

Payment is made in your country of origin

The Migration Agency works with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) which is represented in most countries where you can receive re-establishment support. IOM will make the payment to you in your country of origin. Before you leave Sweden you will be given a telephone number to the IOM office in your country of origin. You must call them and book an appointment for payment of re-establishment support once you have returned to your country of origin.

The payment is made in US Dollars and the full amount is paid in one lump sum. When you collect the payment, you must show your passport and a copy of the document verifying that you have been granted re-establishment support.

If IOM does not have an office in your country of origin, payment may be made to you before you leave Sweden.

Read more about the International Organization for Migration (IOM)external link, opens in new window

Amount of support

The re-establishment support is equivalent to SEK 30,000 for each person over the age of 18, and SEK 15,000 for children under the age of 18. A family can receive a maximum of SEK 75,000.

If you provide false information

The Migration Agency can decide that the support is to be repaid, either in full or in part, if

  • you do not return voluntarily or, after returning, you re-enter Sweden illegally
  • you have provided false information or in some other way caused the support to be paid out erroneously or in excess.

Last updated: 12 April 2017

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.