After 1 July, people with a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive may need to move to a new accommodation

On July 1, a new legislation will come into force. This means that the Swedish Migration Agency may give the municipality responsibility to arrange housing for people who have been granted a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive. This means that those who have received help with housing from the Swedish Migration Agency may need to move to accommodations that the municipality is responsible for.

In order for all of Sweden's municipalities to share the responsibility, many people who currently live in housing provided by the Swedish Migration Agency will need to move from a municipality where many people with residence permits according to the Temporary Protection Directive live, to a municipality where fewer people live. The Swedish Migration Agency is working to ensure that as many people as possible can stay in the same municipality as they live in now, but this will not be possible for everyone.

In those municipalities where more people live than the municipality has been commissioned to arrange housing for, the Swedish Migration Agency will work to ensure that these groups are given priority to stay in that municipality:

  • unaccompanied minors who have reached the age of 18 (and their relatives),
  • families with school-age children and
  • families where an adult works in the area.

Even if you and your family are among the people who will be allowed to stay in the municipality, you may need to move to different accommodations in the same municipality.

Fami­lies with school-age children will begin the moving process during the summer holi­days

The Swedish Migration Agency prioritises trying to allow families with school-age children to move when the children are on their school holiday. If you have school-age children, this means that you and your family may need to move before the end of the summer holidays. Families with children who are not school-age and people without children may need to wait to move until after the summer.

If you live in one of the Swedish Migration Agency’s accommodations, you will soon receive more information about what applies to you and your family. If you have any questions, you can talk to your Reception Unit.

If you have arranged for your accom­mo­da­tion your­self or live with private indi­vi­duals

If you have arranged your accommodation on your own, or if you live with private individuals, but your situation changes so that you need help with accommodation, you should continue to visit us at the Swedish Migration Agency office for help.

You will then first be offered a temporary place in one of the Swedish Migration Agency's accommodations. You will live there while we find out which municipality will be responsible for your housing. We cannot guarantee that you will be allowed to stay in the same municipality that you have lived in before.

Read frequently asked questions and answers about housing

Find your way to a Swedish Migration Agency office