The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Parti­ci­pate in contract or speci­a­li­sa­tion educa­tion

If you are to conduct contract or specialisation education in Sweden for a period of time longer than three months, you can apply for a residence permit.

EU/​​​​EEA citi­zens, Swiss citi­zens and long-term resi­dents

Special rules apply to EU/EEA citizens, Swiss citizens, or long-term residents.

Rules for EU/EEA citizens, Swiss citizens and long-term residents

Stays of less than three months

For a total stay of less than three months, you should not apply for a residence permit and instead apply for a visa. Citizens of some countries may stay in Sweden for up to three months without a residence permit or visa. During this period, it is permitted to study.

Countries whose citizens require an entry visa for travel to Sweden (in Swedish)external link, opens in new window

Read more about applying for an entry visa

What is contract and speci­a­li­sa­tion educa­tion?

The types of education that can form the basis for a residence permit for contracts or specialisation education are:

  • an contract course under Ordinance on contract education at higher education institutions (2002:760), or
  • a specialisation education for doctors or dentists that require such an exception as referred to in Chapter 4. Section 4 of the Patient Safety Act (2010:659).

Requi­re­ments for obtai­ning a resi­dence permit

For a permit, you must

  • have a valid passport
  • prove that you will be participating in a full-time education programme that requires your presence in Sweden
  • be able to support yourself during the time for which you are applying for a residence permit
  • have, or have applied for, a comprehensive health insurance policy
  • demonstrate that you have made acceptable progress in your education (if you are applying for an extension of a previous permit).

A permit for participation in contract or specialisation education does not give you the right to work in Sweden.

Before you submit your appli­ca­tion

Make sure that the information on the document you attach is clearly visible. Important information such as your name must appear in the documents. The documents should be as recently issued as possible. The documents should also be translated into Swedish or English by an authorised public translator, if they are issued in another language. When attaching a translated document, you should always provide a copy of the original document.

You must have a valid passport

Include copies on the pages of your passport showing personal data, photo, signature, passport number, country of issue, period of validity, and if you are authorised to live in countries other than your home country. It is important that the entirety of the passport pages are included in the copies. Numbers and symbols at the top and bottom of the pages must also be clearly visible. If your passport is about to expire, you should extend it because you cannot get permits that exceed the passport’s period of validity.

You must partake in full-time educa­tion

You are to participate in a full-time education programme that requires your presence in Sweden.

You must be able to support your­self

For applications received by the Swedish Migration Agency on or after 1 January 2021, the living expense requirement is at least SEK 8 568 per month.

You must show that you have secured your financial support for the time for which you are applying for a residence permit. This means that you must show that you have money available through bank assets, stipends or the like, such as student finance from your home country.

If you will receive a stipend or the like, you must send a recently issued document in your name with information on the monthly amount or total amount. It shall also be clear from the document what time you will receive funds disbursed and how much of the money will be available for your living expenses.

If you can show that you receive free housing and/or food through the higher education organiser or an organisation that works for international exchange, the amount per month can be reduced. For applications received on or after 1 January 2021, the monthly amount is reduced by SEK 1,666 per month for free food and SEK 1,666 per month for free housing.

You must have, or have applied for, a compre­hen­sive health insu­rance policy

If your planned stay in Sweden is longer than one year, you are expected to register as a Swedish resident. This means that you do not need to prove that you have health insurance in your application for a residence permit. If you become registered as a Sweden resident, or if you already are, you are considered to have comprehensive health insurance.

If the planned stay is shorter than one year, you must be insured by having or having applied for insurance of your own.

The insurance must be valid for the entire time you will be in Sweden and cover costs for emergency and other medical care, dental care and hospital stays. It must also cover expenses for home transportation for medical reasons.

Read more about national registration on the Swedish Tax Agency websiteexternal link, opens in new window

Conditions in order to be civilly registeredexternal link, opens in new window

You must have made accep­table progress in your studies

When applying for an extension of a residence permit for contract or specialisation education, you must also show a certificate from the education provider in Sweden that you have made acceptable progress in your education.

How long the permit is valid

You can receive a residence permit for the time your studies require, but never longer than the validity of your passport. Even if you are attending a programme spanning several years, you can normally only receive a residence permit for a maximum of one year at a time.

If your family is also applying for resi­dence permits

If your family is accompanying you to Sweden, you can apply for permits for them simultaneously with your own. Your family shall use the Application for co-applicant to student and doctoral student, form number 134011PDF. Each accompanying family member needs their own form. In most cases, your co-applying family members will need to pay an application fee.

Fees for residence permits for studies

The form informs on which documents you must attach when applying for the first time.

Shorter proces­sing time for a complete appli­ca­tion

In order for the Swedish Migration Agency to be able to make a decision in your case, all information must be completed and all necessary documents must be included. This means that the processing time is shorter if everything needed is included from the beginning than if the application needs to be supplemented afterwards. Please note that in some cases, the Swedish Migration Agency may need to investigate an application further even though all the documents have been attached.

Time to deci­sion

In order to obtain an impression how long you need to wait for your decision, you can visit the page Time to decision. Note that the average time that is shown on the page is calculated based on previously decided cases in the same category. The time can vary from application to application.

Time to decision

Last updated: 2021-01-07

Was the information on this page helpful to you?