The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

1 January 2020

New regulations for students

On January 1, 2020, new rules will apply to students applying for or who have a residence permit for studies in Sweden. The reason for this is that Sweden is introducing directives of the European Parliament and Council directive (EU) 2016/801. The amended law applies to anyone whose application is reviewed starting January 1, 2020.

Among other things, the changes entail:

  • The concept of university education is expanded to include higher education. This means that studies in higher vocational education programmes and post-secondary studies at a folk high school will also be managed in the same way as university education.
  • It is now enough that you can prove that you have applied for a comprehensive health insurance that applies in Sweden in order to be granted a residence permit for studies that are less than one year.
  • In order to be granted a residence permit for higher education research or studies, it is enough that you have sufficient funds for your living expenses during the time of your permit and that they can cover the costs of your return trip.
  • You need to present sufficient funds for the entire permit period. This is unlike before, when a person who had been accepted to a multiannual programme was only required to demonstrate that they had funds for ten out of twelve months in a year. The new maintenance requirement for 2020 is SEK 8,514 per month.
  • A residence permit for research or higher education studies should not be granted if you demonstrate documents in support of the application that you have obtained fraudulently or that you have falsified or altered in any way.
  • Mobility studies - If you are covered by a union programme or a multilateral programme that includes mobility measures or an agreement between two or more educational institutions, the residence permit shall apply for at least two years or the shorter time that the studies will be in progress.
  • Mobility studies – As mentioned above, some students who are taking a union programme or a multilateral programme (such as Erasmus) and who are alternating between studies in different countries because it is mandatory, may be able to obtain residence permits for the entire programme even it is carried out in different countries. If you have such a residence permit in another EU country and will be staying in Sweden during the time of the permit, the Swedish Migration Agency must be notified as early as possible of such mobility to Sweden. After that, the Swedish Migration Agency has 30 days to announce whether mobility cannot take place.
  • You no longer need to have had a six-month permit to continue to be exempt of the requirement for work permits once an extension application has been made and the previous permit has expired.
  • Residence permits to apply for work after completed studies are now given for 12 months. You cannot apply for a shorter or longer permit than 12 months. Researchers can now also get a job seeker's permit.
  • General permit times will disappear. Instead, it will be based on the actual study period with the possibility of granting two additional weeks both before and after the study period.
  • The possibility of making exceptions from the requirement of full time studies will no longer be available.