The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

3 July 2020

Clarification on remote studies

The Swedish Migration Agency can grant residence permits for studies if more than 50 per cent of the studies will take place on campus even though part of the education is held remotely. On condition that all other requirements are met.

The Swedish Migration Agency previously informed that studies that predominantly take place on campus can be approved, even though parts or elements of the studies take place remotely. We have now clarified this by specifying that more than 50 per cent of the studies during the entire period of study must take place on campus.

You may also include the entire permit period, usually a full academic year, in the calculation. This means that if you study a full academic year, you only need to have a small part of the teaching on campus during the autumn semester in order to be able to receive a permit for the entire academic year. The Swedish Migration Agency currently expects that the universities will offer studies on campus during the spring again. If this changes in the autumn, the Swedish Migration Agency’s assessment may also change.