Permits for family members of those who are long-term residents of the EU

If you are granted a Swedish residence permit, your family may also receive permits for the same period as you. Your family may begin working or studying as soon as they arrive in Sweden. They do not need to wait for your application to be processed. Those who are students may work as well as study without having to apply for a specific work permit.

Which members of your family can accompany you to Sweden?

  • Your partner (cohabiting partner, spouse or registered partner)
  • your or your partner's unmarried children under 21 years of age
  • your or your partner's children over 21 years of age if they are dependent on you for financial support
  • your or your partner's parents who are financially dependent on you.

How your family should apply

Each family member, including children, fills in the form Application for residence permit for persons who are long-term residents in another Member State and their family members, number 136011, and sends this or hands it in to one of the Swedish Migration Agency's permit units within three months of their arrival in Sweden.

Application for residence permit for persons who are long-term residents in another Member State and their family members, form number 136011 (in English)PDF

Find us

Postal addresses to the Migration Agency's Permit Units

If your family are citizens of a country whose citizens require a visa in order to travel to Sweden, they will need to apply for visas before they travel to Sweden at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in their country of origin or other country, outside of Sweden, in which they live. The regulations in the EU Visa Code determine whether or not you are granted a visa. Your application may be rejected if the decision-making authority judges that you are unlikely to leave the Schengen area after your visit and that the purpose of your visit is not as specified in your application.

Countries whose citizens require a visa for visits to Swedenexternal link, opens in new window

Learn more about applying for visas

Find your closest embassy at Swedenabroad.comexternal link, opens in new window

Your family should enclose

  • copies of the pages in their passports which show their personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether they have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin.
  • copies of marriage certificates or the equivalent (valid for married couples or registered partners)
  • documents which show that you have lived together in your country of origin (valid for cohabiting partners)
  • birth certificates for children
  • documents which show that those over the age of 21 are dependant on their parents or children in Sweden for their support.

Shorter processing times for complete applications

For the Swedish Migration Agency to make a decision about your application, all the details need to be filled in and all necessary documents attached. This means that the processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.

Note that the Migration Agency may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.

When we have received the application

If your family are granted permits for longer than three months, they will receive residence permit cards. They should, therefore, visit the Swedish Migration Agency to be photographed and fingerprinted so that they cards can be made. In order to be photographed and have their fingerprints recorded, they must first make an appointment.

Learn more about residence permit card

Find us

Book an appointment to visit us

After the decision has been made

The decision will be sent to your address in Sweden. When the residence permit cards are ready, they will be sent to your home within about a week.

If the Swedish Migration Agency refuses the application

If the Swedish Migration Agency refuses your family's application, they may appeal the decision within three weeks of the day you received it. Information on how to do this can be found in the decision.

Power of attorney to represent you

If you want someone else to represent you in your case with the Migration Agency, you can grant someone a power of attorney. A power of attorney may, for example, give someone else the right to make an application, be advised of the reasons for a decision or appeal against a decision on your behalf. The power of attorney must be written and signed by you as the person granting the power of attorney to someone else, and must be presented, in the original, if requested by the Migration Agency. If you are over 18 and want a member of your family to represent you, you will also need to submit a power of attorney.

To grant a power of attorney to another person, you may use the form Power of Attorney. The form applies to you if you have applied for a residence permit on the grounds of work, study, connections or visit.

Power of Attorney, form number 107011PDF

Last updated: 2015-10-26

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.