Facts about entry visas

A visa is a permit to travel to and stay in a country for a limited period. Citizens of a non-EU country may need a visa to visit Sweden.

The Schengen Cooperation

Sweden is member of the Schengen Cooperation. The Schengen Cooperation allows those who have a visa to travel to Sweden also to travel to the other member countries. The countries that form part of the Schengen Cooperation are often referred to as Schengen countries.

Reasons to apply for an entry visa

A visa may for example be granted for:

  • visiting relatives or friends
  • business or conference visits, seminars or similar arrangements
  • tourism
  • participation in sports events
  • cultural exchanges
  • other specific purposes that is of personal or economic nature
  • transit.

Validity period for entry visa

A visa is valid in the Schengen countries for up to 90 days in a 180-day period.

The number of days that you are allowed to stay in the Schengen countries is specified on the visa sticker that is glued into your passport. The days can be utilised during the period that is specified on the sticker. The period is often 15 days longer than the number of days that you may visit the Schengen countries. This is so that you have the possibility to change your travel date if something unforeseen happens.

A visa can be valid for one or multiple entries or exits

Your visa sticker specifies how many times you may travel in and out of the Schengen countries while it is valid.

You can apply for a Schengen visa that is valid for multiple entries if you are regular visitor to Sweden. A visa with multiple entries can be valid for visits lasting up to 90 days in the latest 180 days for a maximum of five years.

Your visa may only be valid for certain countries

If you are granted a visa you can also visit other Schengen countries.

In certain cases your visa may be valid for entries and stays in Sweden or in certain Schengen countries only, for example if your passport is not accepted in all Schengen countries.

Calculate your visa period

You can use the EU Schengen calculator to work out when you can enter the Schengen area again, and how many days you can stay.

Calculate your visa period with the EU visa calculatorexternal link, opens in new window

Longer stays

If you are planning to stay in Sweden for longer than 90 days you need to apply for a visitors’ residence permit.

Read more about a visitors’ residence permit

If you don't need a visa

If you don’t need a visa to enter Sweden or another Schengen Member State from your country of origin, you must still meet a number of requirements.

Read more about which requirements apply for you to be able to travel without a visa

Visa consideration

The embassy or consulate-general normally makes the decisions regarding visas, but in some circumstances it can hand the matter to the Swedish Migration Agency for decision-making. The regulations in the EU Visa Code determine whether or not you are granted a visa.

Praxis for visas is established by the Migration Court and the Migration Court of Appeal. Where interpretation of the Visa Code is required, praxis is established by the Court of Justice of the European Union.

Countries where the free mobility in Europe agreement is valid


Last updated: 2019-11-04

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.