Apply online for a visa in order to visit Sweden

You should hand in your visa application at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in the country where you live. Some embassies and consulates-general have an online visa application service. These embassies are listed below.

You who have booked time to apply for a visa at the Embassy in Tehran

You who have booked time to apply for a visa at the Embassy in Tehran and who have not received a confirmed time for visit.

A technical error has been discovered.

If you have applied for a visa, paid the application fee and completed the booking, but did not receive a confirmation email at your booked time. Then the booked time has not been registered. To book a time, you should go to "My page for e-visa" and book a new time.

If the Swedish embassy or consulate-general where you need to submit your application is not on the list, you can read more about how to apply for a visa at the embassy's or consulate-general's website. There you also can see if the embassy or consulate-general does accept visa applications or not.

To find the appropriate embassy, visit www.swedenabroad.comexternal link, opens in new window

If Sweden does not have an embassy or consulate in your country, who does not accept visa application, you might be able to turn in the application at the foreign mission of another country. In that case, check with them about their requirements.

List of countries in which Sweden is represented by another Schengen countryexternal link, opens in new window

You can apply for a visa on the Web at these embassies and consulates-general:

You cannot use this online service

  • if Sweden is represented by another Schengen state in the country where you apply
  • if you at the same time apply for work permit in Sweden
  • if you do not have to pay a fee according to a Visa Facilitation Agreement.

Why electronic application?

Applying online is the easiest and quickest way to submit an application. It takes approximately 15–30 minutes. When you apply online your application is automatically checked for all required information and the inclusion of all necessary documents. In some cases an application might need to be supplemented after processing has begun.

Please note! It is very important that you obtain information about local conditions for applications via the web on the embassy's website.

Visit a Swedish embassy or consulate-general

In order for your application to be processed, you must visit the embassy that you have chosen to submit your application to. This is where you must identify yourself, be photographed and fingerprinted, and corroborate the documents attached to the application. The passport entered in the application must be brought with you when you come, and it must be valid for three months after the trip is over. You must also bring the printed application.

For information about hours when embassies are open and how to book your visit, please see the respective embassies' websites listed above.

What is a power of attorney?

A power of attorney can be a signed letter in which the person applying for a permit allows another person to represent him or her. A power of attorney can, for example, give someone the right to apply, be informed of the reasons for a decision, or lodge an appeal for someone else. The power of attorney must be signed by the person who gives their power of attorney to another person, and must be presented in the original if required by the Swedish Migration Agency.

In order to give another person power of attorney, you will need to send a letter to the Swedish Migration Agency stating

  • that it is a power of attorney
  • the name, date of birth and address of the person giving someone else the power of attorney
  • what the person who has the power of attorney has to do
  • the name, personal identity number and address of the person who is given the power of attorney
  • the signature of the person giving someone else the power of attorney
  • the date and place where the power of attorney is signed.

Power of Attorney, form number 107011PDF

Follow your case

If you have made an application and want to see what information you have provided, or if a decision has been made in your case, you do so via online services for visa. In some cases you may also book or cancel your time at the Swedish Embassy or Consulate General.

Before you begin your application

The Migration Agency recommends that you use a computer when you make your application and that you use Internet Explorer.

Support for online applications

Learn more about the requirements for an online application

Contact our technical support for online services

Last updated: 2019-10-28

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.