If you are already in Sweden and want to apply for work permit

The main rule is that you must apply for and obtain a permit before entering Sweden. Under certain circumstances, you can apply for and obtain a permit while in the country.

You can apply for a work permit while in Sweden if you:

If you are a non-EU national with a university degree or five years' professional experience and a salary equivalent to one and a half times the average gross salary in Sweden, you may apply for an EU Blue Card.

Read more about how to apply for an EU Blue Card

If you have a temporary residence permit based on extraordinary or distressing circumstances, and are able to support yourself through your work, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.

Read more about how you apply for an permanent residence permit

When you apply for a new job

When you apply for a new job, you need to include copies of documents that show that you have the right to stay and work in Sweden. You also need to bring your residence permit card with you. The employer will want to know the duration of your right to work in Sweden and if there are any limitations in your permit. The person that hires you will ask for a copy of the documents and will notify the Tax Agency of your employment.

Last updated: 2017-06-02

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.