Things to keep in mind when applying to extend your work permit
If you are planning to apply to extend your work permit, you must do so before your current permit expires. Right when you are granted the initial work permit, there are already things you can do to prepare for your application to extend it.
- Make sure that your employer has taken out insurance for you. In most cases, your employer should provide you insurance cover in the form of occupational injury insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and occupational pension insurance. The Swedish Migration Agency sometimes requires proof of this. You can obtain the certificates of insurance from your employer. Ask for certificates of insurance from your old employer if you change employer.
- When you apply for an extension, you must submit income statements from the Swedish Tax Agency for the time period you have worked in Sweden. Income statements contain information about your salary and other income, as well as what tax you paid during that year. You can obtain the income statements from the Swedish Tax Agency. Before submitting your application for extension, you should therefore contact the Swedish Tax Agency and ask for a summary of your income statements for all of the years you have worked in Sweden.
- Save the income statements that you receive from your employer. The Swedish Tax Agency may not have had a chance to confirm the data in the income statement for the previous year. It is therefore important that you also save the income statements you receive from your employer at the end of each year. If you received from compensation from Försäkringskassan, for example, you should also save the income statements you receive from them.
- Save your payslips. There is a chance that you will not have to submit all of your payslips to the Swedish Migration Agency when you apply for an extension, but it is a good idea to save them in case the Swedish Migration Agency needs to check them when processing your application. You must always submit the payslips of the current year when applying for an extension.
- Save statements indicating any absence from work, such as a notice of payment from Försäkringskassan.
- If there are any changes to your employment (such as working in a smaller or larger scope), it is a good idea to save documents that show this, such as an employment agreement.
- Save the statement of employment that you receive from your employer if you change jobs. In some cases, you may have to apply for a new work permit. Read more under Change of employer or occupation
- Check the information found in your decision and on your residence permit card. These will state which profession you are allowed to work in, and for which employer. These will also state how long the work permit is valid. You must apply to extend your work permit before your previous permit expires.