Things to keep in mind when applying to extend your work permit
If you are planning to apply to extend your work permit, you must do so before your current permit expires. Right when you are granted the initial work permit, there are already things you can do to prepare for your application to extend it.
- Make sure that your employer has taken out insurance for you. In most cases, your employer should provide you insurance cover in the form of occupational injury insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and occupational pension insurance. The Swedish Migration Agency sometimes requires proof of this. You can obtain the certificates of insurance from your employer. Ask for certificates of insurance from your old employer if you change employer.
- When you apply for an extension, you must submit PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency for the time period you have worked in Sweden. PAYE tax return contain information about your salary and other income, as well as what tax you paid during that year. You can obtain the PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency. Before submitting your application for extension, you should therefore visit the Swedish Tax Agency website and log in with your e-ID to print the summary for each year you have worked in Sweden.
- Save your payslips. There is a chance that you will not have to submit all of your payslips to the Swedish Migration Agency when you apply for an extension, but it is a good idea to save them in case the Swedish Migration Agency needs to check them when processing your application. You must always submit the payslips of the current year when applying for an extension.
- Save statements indicating any absence from work, such as a notice of payment from Försäkringskassan.
- If there are any changes to your employment (such as working in a smaller or larger scope), it is a good idea to save documents that show this, such as an employment agreement.
- Save the statement of employment that you receive from your employer if you change jobs. In some cases, you may have to apply for a new work permit. Read more under Change of employer or occupation
- Check the information found in your decision and on your residence permit card. These will state which profession you are allowed to work in, and for which employer. These will also state how long the work permit is valid. You must apply to extend your work permit before your previous permit expires.