Frequently asked questions about work permits for berry pickers

  • When picking berries in Sweden, do I need any health insurance?

    The offer of employment specifies which insurance that shall be subscribed. If you apply for a work permit for a period of less than three months, you must have an insurance that covers medical expenses and hospitalisation for the time you are here. The insurance must also cover repatriation for medical reasons.

  • Which trade union should be given the opportunity to comment on the conditions of employment?

    It is the Swedish Municipal Workers' Union that should be given the opportunity to comment on the conditions of employment offered. The address is Swedish Municipal Workers' Union, Box 19039, 104 32 Stockholm.
  • Why is the minimum wage higher when the berry picker is employed by a manpower company?

    If the berry picker is employed by a manpower company the agreement that applies is the Manpower agreement. The minimum wage is higher according to that agreement than in the collective agreement of the Swedish Association of Forestry and Agricultural Employees.  
  • I work as a berry picker and my employer has not met the conditions in my offer of employment. What should I do?

    The Migration Agency cannot help you if your employer or client does not meet the conditions of the employment offer. Try to contact the Swedish Municipal Workers' Union.external link

  • Does the berry picker need a visa to travel to Sweden?

    If the berry picker will work a shorter period of time than three months and is from a country where a visa is needed to enter Swedenexternal link, opens in new window, the berry picker also needs to apply for a visa.

    Learn more about how to apply for a visa on Visiting Sweden.

  • My offer of employment is lacking a comment from the trade union on the conditions offered. Can I still apply?

    Yes, you can apply. The Migration Agency will request a comment from the trade union, but your application will take longer to process.

  • I wish to employ berry pickers from EU. What kind of permit do they need?

    An EU citizen has the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a work permit or residence permit. When entering Sweden, they need a valid passport or ID card showing their citizenship. For registration in the Swedish population register, they contact the Swedish Tax Agency.

  • My company has no collective agreement. Can I still employ berry pickers?

    Yes you can. But you must offer conditions of employment on a par with Swedish collective agreements or whatever is customary within the occupation or industry. The trade Union should also be given an opportunity to comment on the conditions. Your application will take significantly longer time to process.
  • It says a berry picker must earn at least SEK 13,000 per month, but the minimum wage is higher for a berry picker employed by a company with representation in Sweden. How does that work?

    The work must be on such a scale that the worker earns at least SEK 13,000 a month. Some workers do not work full time, but even if you work 75 percent, the wage must be at least SEK 13,000.

  • Do I get my fee back if my application is rejected?

    No, you will not get your fee back even if your application is rejected.
  • How can I, as an employer, prove that the berry picker has received sufficient information about work, public rights and traffic security regulations?

    You can prove this in various ways, for example by submitting a document that states that the employee has received the information that you as an employer have provided.
  • How can I, as an employer, prove that I can pay the wages stated in the employment agreement?

    This could be by demonstrating that there are sufficient funds in a bank account or equivalent, an overdraft facility, guarantees from the bank (only banks within the EU/EEA and Switzerland). It could also be demonstrated through a legally binding commitment from another financier or a surety bond from a guarantor who can demonstrate that funds are available. To support this, a balance sheet and an earnings report may be submitted.
  • What if I have a Swedish employer?

    If your employer is established in Sweden you need to fulfil other requirements. That your employer is established in Sweden means that they have their seat and actual business here.

    If you are going to work during a limited period as a berry picker, you must apply for a seasonal work permit instead.

    Read more about seasonal work permits

Last updated: 2015-02-03

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.