The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

Frequently asked questions about permits for seasonal work

General questions and answers

The employer must be established in Sweden. This means that their registered office and actual business operations must be based here.

If you are employed by a foreign employer and are coming to work for a contractor in Sweden, you are not covered by the provisions on work permits for seasonal work. It is often the case that berry pickers are employed by foreign companies.

Read more about berry pickers

When you come to Sweden for seasonal work, you must be able to stay in accommodation of a suitable standard. 

Suitable standard means that the accommodation has

  • continuous heating
  • continuous access to hot and cold water for domestic purposes and hygiene
  • drains for waste water
  • access to a toilet and a washing facility such as a bathtub or shower
  • electricity for household consumption
  • cooker, sink, fridge, storage spaces and worktops
  • access to storage room within the property and
  • the possibility to wash clothes within the property or within a reasonable distance from it.

The accommodation may not have any shortcomings with regards to its strength of materials, fire safety or sanitary conditions.

You will be required to submit a rental agreement or documentary evidence from your landlord, the property owner or lettings agency regarding a future agreement.

Read more about the Swedish Migration Agency’s provisions on what constitutes accommodation of a suitable standard in accordance with Chapter 6, Section 2, Paragraph 4 of the Aliens Act (2005:716) (in Swedish)PDF

Yes. If you change accommodation, you need to inform the Swedish Migration Agency and submit documentation about your new accommodation, such as the rental agreement.

You need to show that you have taken out or applied for a comprehensive health insurance policy that covers health and medical care in Sweden in order to be granted a work permit for seasonal work. You need a comprehensive health insurance if you should need medical care during your stay in Sweden.

Your health insurance should cover the costs of emergency as well as other health care, and also hospitalization and transport to your home country for medical reasons, if necessary.

You can get a work permit for seasonal work for a maximum of six months within a 12 month period. You can have one long permit or several short, consecutive permits during this period.

Yes. You can change jobs to another employer. Your new employer must offer you seasonal work and they must have duly advertised the post.

You can work during the period when the Swedish Migration Agency is processing your new application provided that you apply before your previous permit expires.

Even if you change employer, you may not get a permit for more than six months in a twelve month period.

No. Any wrongdoing by your previous employer will be of no significance if you have applied for employment with another employer.

You can be granted a permanent residence permit if you have had a work permit as an employee and worked in Sweden for a total of four years out of the last seven. Permits for seasonal work can form part of the basis for a permanent residence permit. However, you must combine your permits for seasonal work with another type of work permit in order to meet the time period requirement of four years, given that a permit for seasonal work can only be granted for a maximum of six months within a 12 month period.

When you apply for a permanent residence permit, the Swedish Migration Agency checks to ensure that you have been staying in Sweden and working here during the period for which you have had a work permit.

An application for a seasonal work permit will be decided within 90 days if the case is complete. If you have had a permit for seasonal work in Sweden over the last five years that has complied with the permit terms, then your application will be processed more quickly.

Yes, if the Swedish Migration Agency rejects your application, you can appeal to a migration court. You will be advised on how to make an appeal in the decision documentation that you receive.

No, in order to obtain a seasonal work permit you are not allowed to live in someone else’s home. This also means that you cannot stay with a relative while you are working in Sweden. You must rent or sub-let your accommodation or own the property in order for the requirement to be met.

This applies when your employer rents accommodation to you

Yes. Your employer can rent accommodation to you. Your employer can also help you find accommodation elsewhere.

There are particular requirements which apply if your employer rents or helps you find accommodation:

  • The rent must not be disproportionate to your salary or the standard of the accommodation.
  • As a general rule, the rent should not be deducted directly from your salary.
  • Your employer must provide you with a document setting out your rental conditions.
  • The accommodation must meet general health and safety requirements.

The rent must not be unreasonably high in relation to the standard of the accommodation. The Swedish Migration Agency will therefore compare your rent with the rent of other similar places of accommodation in the area where you will work.

Once you have paid your rent, your salary (after tax) must be such that your living conditions can be considered reasonable. For example, you should not need any welfare assistance in order to cover your living expenses once the rent has been paid.

No, in normal cases your rent may not be deducted automatically from your salary. It may only be deducted directly from your salary if you have given consent for this in advance.

Yes. If you rent accommodation from your employer or if your employer helps you find accommodation, you must receive a written document detailing the rental conditions. Receiving written documentation which details your rental conditions is a requirement that you need to meet in order to receive a work permit for seasonal work.

Last updated: 2020-08-05

Was the information on this page helpful to you?