Frequently asked ques­tions – trainees (higher education)

Frequently asked ques­tions about permits for trai­nees (higher educa­tion)

You must apply for and be granted a residence permit to undertake an internship in connection with higher education before you enter Sweden. If you have a residence permit for studies in higher education and have completed studies equivalent to 30 ECTS or completed one semester of doctoral education, you can apply from within Sweden.

Your terms of employment (including your salary) during your internship must be on a par with collective agreements or with what is customary for trainees within your profession or industry.

Frequently asked ques­tions about insurances – researchers

To be granted a residence permit, you need to show that you have taken out or applied for comprehensive health insurance valid for care in Sweden. You need comprehensive health insurance in case you require medical care during your stay in Sweden.

If you apply for a permit for more than one year, it will be possible to register you in the national population register, and you will thus be covered by the Swedish health insurance system. If this is the case, you do not need health insurance.

Your health insurance should cover the costs of both emergency and other medical care, as well as hospitalisation, dental care and possible repatriation for medical reasons.

If you have experienced symptoms or been diagnosed with a disease before you travel to Sweden, your insurance does not need to cover doctor’s appointments related to the treatment of this condition. Should your health deteriorate rapidly and require urgent medical care, your health insurance should cover medical care until your condition has stabilised.

The Swedish Migration Agency cannot give advance notice of whether the health insurance you have applied for or taken out will be approved when it makes its assessment about your residence permit application.

Last updated: 2020-06-25