Residence permits for visiting researchers
If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and want to work as a visiting researcher, you are exempt from the requirement of a work permit, but you need to apply for a residence permit.
Due to planned maintenance, you cannot use our online services Sunday 8 December between 18.00 and 21.00.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Requirements for residence permits
To be eligible for a residence permit, you must
- have a valid passport (if your passport will expire soon, you should renew it since you cannot get a permit for longer than the validity of your passport)
- have a hosting agreement with a research funding body (the party receiving the research work) that is approved by the Swedish Research Council
- pay a fee in most cases (fees for work permits).
You do not need a residence permit if you are to work for less than three months. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa to travel to Sweden.
Requirements to use the e-service
In order to use the e-service, you need
- copies of the pages in your passport that show personal data, photo, signature, passport number, issuing country, period of validity and if you have permission to live in countries other than your home country
- the hosting agreement (that your research funding body sent to you).